Newbie to protein skimmers- questions

jazzfisher

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2019
Messages
630
Reaction score
1,244
Location
Encinitas
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I just got a IM Nuvo Midsize protein skimmer for my 30l..
How do I know how to position the cup- how high or low? What are the results of moving it one way or the other?
I know there is a break-in period, but are little bubbles supposed to come out of the black cap on the cup? I just plugged it in..
Thanks for helping a newbie to this upgrade!
 
I haven’t used that particular skimmer, but in general, the bubbles in a skimmer should get only partially up the neck which leads to the collection cup. The idea is that after it breaks in, the ‘dirty’ bubbles will pop against the top (lid) of the cup, and the popped bubble ‘gunk’ explodes into the cup. If you never get skim material, raise the bubble level. If you fill up the collection cup too fast with watery material, lower the bubble level. Experiment until you learn the particulars of your piece of equipment. :)
 
Thank you but you can’t see inside this skimmer, only the cup is clear plastic.
 
The basic principle would be the same. You just might have more trial and error finding the sweet spot ;)
 
I haven’t used that particular skimmer, but in general, the bubbles in a skimmer should get only partially up the neck which leads to the collection cup. The idea is that after it breaks in, the ‘dirty’ bubbles will pop against the top (lid) of the cup, and the popped bubble ‘gunk’ explodes into the cup. If you never get skim material, raise the bubble level. If you fill up the collection cup too fast with watery material, lower the bubble level. Experiment until you learn the particulars of your piece of equipment. :)

Alright I am bumping this thread up to say THANK YOU for explaining how skimmers are supposed to work in such blunt terms—I have been wondering the very same thing and haven't been able to figure out just what's supposed to be happening. Thanks!!
 
Yes I really appreciated @JumboShrimp tell me that info. I still haven't been able to adjust it correctly but I'm trying!
 
I still haven't been able to adjust my skimmer to work properly. :( I'm thinking I need to raise it up a bit--I don't have any eggcrate or a LFS that carries it close. Would it be safe to cut a piece of styrofoam to lift it out of the water some?
 
Should be ok, unless tiny pellet-like pieces break off. Why not go to a Dollar Store and buy a cheap plastic ‘Tupperware ‘ piece (rectangle or square) that you could invert without the lid, like a stand? Drill a few holes to let the air pocket out. Just an idea.
 
@JumboShrimp , it makes a difference if the pump is actually inserted correctly.. The styrofoam didn’t make any difference (now know why) so I removed it the next day. My lfs recommended I clean it with white vinegar so I was doing that today I discovered the output of the pump wasn’t inserted into the bottom of the sump.. Reinserted and now everything is working! Yay! Thanks for your help & patience.
 
Lol. Yes, building it correctly ‘would’ be important. Glad you got to the bottom of that! Happing skimming.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top