Nitrate and Nitrite Toxicity, Same In Fish As Would Be In Humans?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jaag
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Jaag

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
155
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a question about what the mechanism of nitrate and nitrite are that cause fish to die. Is it related to what nitrite does in the human body as in, vasodilation? Does it decrease the blood pressure? Do we know?
 
I too would like to know what happens. I would assume we have a lot larger tolerance than fish
 
I have a question about what the mechanism of nitrate and nitrite are that cause fish to die. Is it related to what nitrite does in the human body as in, vasodilation? Does it decrease the blood pressure? Do we know?
sodiumnitrite is known for euthanasia purposes here in NL.
 
I am not necessarily talking about euthanasia. I am more talking about why do extremely high nitrates and nitrites cause death? What is the way it causes death?
ie: You give nitrogliserin to humans to cause vasodilation. This drops blood pressure. Nitric Oxide causes blood pressure to drop in humans because of vasodilation. Does it do the same to fish and is that the cause of death in extremely high nitrates?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top