Nitrate Test Kit Shoot out: NYOS Salifert RedSea API

Thanks for the input. I target under 5 and will most likely go with Salifert going forward. Looking down will be painless and very quick to see if I'm under that target.


It's looking like I'm going to have two more rounds of tests coming up. I've acquired enough PO4 kits to do a PO4 kit shootout like this nitrate one. It'll be Hanna Low Range Phosphate checker, Hanna ULR checker, Salifert, Seachem, and Elos Pro. Against each other. Only one I don't have yet is the Elos Pro which I should have next week and the AWT kit which I was hoping to have today. I have the Triton kit in hand already.

Then I'll do the all out battle vs. AWT and Triton. Though I'll cut back on which tests I'll do based on which two PO4 and Nitrate kits I like better. I would be surprised if one of them isn't the Hanna ULR Checker but my preference was changed in regards to Nitrates so I'll keep an open mind.

It'll end up being

Cal: API, Salifert, AWT, Triton
Alk: API, Salifert, AWT
Mg: Salifert, RedSea Pro, AWT, Triton
Nitrates: Salifert, RedSea Pro, AWT
P: TBD, TBD, AWT, Triton

Then AWT tests vs Triton where they test for the same things.

Plus, all my probes (pH, Salinity, Temp, Orp) just because they are super quick and already mostly logged.
 
Allways been a fan of salifert. Low range hanna for phos. Very interested in the I dip. Thanx for the write up. Will the mindstream ever be available .
 
Mindstream is a great concept. I hope it does. If they tied into a controller like the Apex would be even better. Problem will be the monthly disc cost. So far it's way to steep for me.

The iDip I'd be very interested in if they can get it to read in the ranges we need and consistency down.
 
I got all the test kits and return tubes for AWT and Triton in including a nyos PO4 kit to add to the above PO4 shootout.

I got some seachem Iodide and Kent strontium/molybdenum supplements to try and dose what Triton recommended before I do the all out test comparisons to see how the results come back after I dose what they recommend. Says a single 1 day dose of the Iodine and a split out dose over three days of the molybdenum.

I didn't find any Mo by itself locally but found the Kent as the closest thing. My strontium was slightly lower then the set point. So I imagine it will be either slightly higher or slightly deviating higher in the yellow. I don't think it will be detrimental at all to be in that range.

New threads to come...
 
Thanks for doing a write up on this, and really looking forward to your P04 write up too :)
 
Do all of these measure total nitrates or just the nitrate-nitrogen. Or both in the instructions with the conversion factor.
I ask because over 12 years ago a LFS was using a fast test nitrate kit which was calibrated for nitrate nitrogen and telling customers they have 4 time less nitrates.
 
Thanks for doing a write up on this, and really looking forward to your P04 write up too :)

Here it is
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/p...s-pro-salifert-hanna-checkers-seachem.222628/


Do all of these measure total nitrates or just the nitrate-nitrogen. Or both in the instructions with the conversion factor.
I ask because over 12 years ago a LFS was using a fast test nitrate kit which was calibrated for nitrate nitrogen and telling customers they have 4 time less nitrates.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong here but Nitrate Nitrogen would be the goal for these and I don't really see the need to test for things like ammonium nitrate as it converts while testing for nitrate nitrogen. If you have high levels of other forms of N then there are other issues or the tank is very new.
 
Others can correct me if I'm wrong here but Nitrate Nitrogen would be the goal for these and I don't really see the need to test for things like ammonium nitrate as it converts while testing for nitrate nitrogen. If you have high levels of other forms of N then there are other issues or the tank is very new.

Actually, I expect his question was what units it reports in, not the detecting of different forms. :)
 
Dr Randy Homes-farley is correct and I am not talking about ammonia nitrate in any way.


again. Just for better understanding.
Some test kits (like the old fast test kit) are calibrated to measure the nitrogen part of the nitrate ion. Most are calibrated to measure the total ion. api for instance.
So with the same exact amount of 10ppm nitrate-nitrogen you have ~ 40ppm total nitrates. with absolutely no difference in the actual nitrate ions in the solution.

IMHO to compare test kits (or anything else for that matter) you must at least be measuring the same thing.
 
Dr Randy Homes-farley is correct and I am not talking about ammonia nitrate in any way.


again. Just for better understanding.
Some test kits (like the old fast test kit) are calibrated to measure the nitrogen part of the nitrate ion. Most are calibrated to measure the total ion. api for instance.
So with the same exact amount of 10ppm nitrate-nitrogen you have ~ 40ppm total nitrates. with absolutely no difference in the actual nitrate ions in the solution.

IMHO to compare test kits (or anything else for that matter) you must at least be measuring the same thing.

Guess I'm still not 100% sure what's being asked or if detected under 5 with any of the above would make a terribly large difference. If over 10 then I would look at ways to lower it regardless of how high over 10 and if there are any truly notable issues. I don't believe high nitrates are an issue unless they are present with other issues and can be reduced to eliminate that as the issue. If that make sense.

From what they have listed
API: Just specifies (NO3–) and includes SDS http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=downloads&id=591
SaliferT: Nitrate as nitrate ion
Nyos: No specification other then NO3
Red Sea: No specification but provides a SDS
http://5w56d28u4co20frgwagf5y18.wpe...uploads/2013/12/Nitrate-Pro-test-kit-MSDS.pdf



Welcome, I hope someone gets something out of it. I did.
 
Guess I'm still not 100% sure what's being asked or if detected under 5 with any of the above would make a terribly large difference. If over 10 then I would look at ways to lower it regardless of how high over 10 and if there are any truly notable issues. I don't believe high nitrates are an issue unless they are present with other issues and can be reduced to eliminate that as the issue. If that make sense.

From what they have listed
API: Just specifies (NO3–) and includes SDS http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=downloads&id=591
SaliferT: Nitrate as nitrate ion
Nyos: No specification other then NO3
Red Sea: No specification but provides a SDS
http://5w56d28u4co20frgwagf5y18.wpe...uploads/2013/12/Nitrate-Pro-test-kit-MSDS.pdf




Welcome, I hope someone gets something out of it. I did.
from the api nitrate test kit instructions:
This test kit reads total nitrate (NO3-)





level in parts per million (ppm) which are

equivalent to milligrams per liter (mg/L)

from 0 - 160 ppm.)

FYI the conversion factor for nitrate nitrogen (the nitrogen part) to total nitrate is 4.+ some change. So a test kit measuring 10ppm nitrate-nitrogen would measure 40ppm total nitrate with the same amount of nitrate in the sample.

IMHO if the instructions do not even specify that most rudimentary information on what is being measured the test kit is worthless.
 
Interesting view point which I guess to my view point it's still a cheap worthwhile test. I see if there is a reading then I would look at reducing it.

If looking to be in a ULNS or wanting to know the very low ranges at a high resolution then yes I believe API to be worthless but no fault to API as that's not what it's designed for.

But I get what you're saying now and can totally understand your argument. It is worth to note Salifert does specify they test for the Nitrate ion and use some special agent to reduce interferences. RedSea Pro and Nyos Nitrate so far has matched up well and I would assume they measure the same. RedSea was just the easiest for me to read the results.

I would be interested in Randy's opinion here too.
 
I actually prefer the Nyos. The Red Sea tests get too complicated and colors are not distinct enough. Same with the salifert, below 1ppm is all based on my guesses on the colors. 1ppm is an acceptable level for me and don't care that much whether it's .25, .0025 or .75.
 
I actually prefer the Nyos. The Red Sea tests get too complicated and colors are not distinct enough. Same with the salifert, below 1ppm is all based on my guesses on the colors. 1ppm is an acceptable level for me and don't care that much whether it's .25, .0025 or .75.
Totally agree on the Salifert on those ultra low ranges being very difficult to read. But I don't target anything other then to be under 5. Nyos only slightly easier to read but that's just me.
 
Here's my test results, I'm having real trouble figuring if I take the reading from the container on the card or from the reading from the side view. Is my readings high or low ?

1458743857079.jpg


1458743878932.jpg
 
Here's my test results, I'm having real trouble figuring if I take the reading from the container on the card or from the reading from the side view. Is my readings high or low ?

1458743857079.jpg


1458743878932.jpg
Since you can see color from above I would only read from above. Looks to me somewhere between 10 and 25. Viewing from the side also lines up with that as you would divide the reading from the side by 10.
 
Thank you very much. I should be aiming for 5 shouldn't I?

I target under 5. Some people target much lower. Some much higher. I don't see nitrates as an issue unless there's an issue seen. Some people can run nitrates much higher like say 20ppm with out any nuisance algae growing in the display tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top