Nitrates still high after 50% water change

My bet is on the sand from the old established tank - all the dead or dying microfauna from the move could be causing the continual high nitrate reading.
 
That’s what I was thinking is the problem! So I just removed it all and put new sand in. Nitrates way down. Gonna do my scape when tank clears up and will test again. Hopefully just my sand.
 
We will see - please come back with reports. Have you use the same salt brand ?

Sincerely Lasse
 
Yes Red Sea. Will post update tonight once rock is in and tank clears up. Fingers crossed!
 
Yes I understand that. When do you think is safe to check or ammonia and nitrite? I should have bacteria on my rocks after being in there a month. And I got Carib sea direct ocean sand
 
Yes I understand that. When do you think is safe to check or ammonia and nitrite? I should have bacteria on my rocks after being in there a month. And I got Carib sea direct ocean sand

It's never unsafe to check. :)
 
Ok. Still waiting for tank to clear gonna add rock then will check all parameters.
 
With the new sand and my old rock I was using... I’m going to have to go get a new source of ammonia for the cycle? What do you guys recommend, dosing ammonia, go get a raw shrimp, get seachem stability?
 
I would use Tim's ammonium chloride, because there's no dosing guesswork involved, and Fritz TurboStart 900, because it's the only bottled bacteria shown to work fast.
 
I would use Tim's ammonium chloride, because there's no dosing guesswork involved, and Fritz TurboStart 900, because it's the only bottled bacteria shown to work fast.
Ok thank you.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top