No fish no inverters just coral?

Coral only? No fish no inverts.

  • Yes! Finally exceptional growth!

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No! I need a source of nutrients.

    Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Maybe?

    Votes: 2 28.6%

  • Total voters
    7

Pico bam

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 28, 2019
Messages
983
Reaction score
1,630
Location
Lake elmo
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your guys thoughts on coral only tank? I think snail poop is one of the leading sources of phosphates. While certain inverts and fish play key rolls in an aquarium, would the coral be happier without them? I have a 120 with a large tang population the water quality is sub par. My frag tank (50g lowboy) has a smaller fish and snail population everything seems happier. Recently setup the first tank in my aquarium room aswell a innovative marine 25 lagoon. All the coral just seem so happy in there no fish no snails nothing. Thinking about keeping it this way.
 
Are you feeding the coral anything? They don't need fish if they are being fed.
 
I think you’ll find that over time without fish/inverts and without feeding the tank, you’ll see slow if any growth, colors will get pale, and polyp size will be smaller. Corals needs nutrients for the zooxanthellae in their tissues to perform photosynthesis, it’s impossible without them.
 
I can barely keep in track of nutrient when my tank went thru 3 month fallow. I cannot be happier after fish are added back and I’m dosing a lot less.
 
Are you feeding the coral anything? They don't need fish if they are being fed.
Occasional reef roids might throw some amino acids in there. But trying to keep this to a minimum. I'm not trying to make ulns by any means but I'm gonna try this out for a while and see what happens.
 
I think you’ll find that over time without fish/inverts and without feeding the tank, you’ll see slow if any growth, colors will get pale, and polyp size will be smaller. Corals needs nutrients for the zooxanthellae in their tissues to perform photosynthesis, it’s impossible without them.
This is true. Nutrients are a necessity. I think a little coral food and amino acids plus a good pod population should be sufficient in making no3/po4.
 
Just keep utility fish
I don't think I can give up my tangs. But I get what you mean. Contemplating adding a 6 line and maybe a baby yellow tang. But I'm gonna go fishless and invertless for a while and see the results. Setting up a 270g in the near future for my fish. Just gotta finish the aquarium room so I can do a little tank shuffle.
 
I don't think I can give up my tangs. But I get what you mean. Contemplating adding a 6 line and maybe a baby yellow tang. But I'm gonna go fishless and invertless for a while and see the results. Setting up a 270g in the near future for my fish. Just gotta finish the aquarium room so I can do a little tank shuffle.
keep tangs for sure. tangs are utility fish and studies have shown area with no tangs have a bigger algae issue
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top