No Lion, They get a bad name or do they?

After watching the above video I can not see myself ever paying so much for something that is readily available to eat motivated by FL laws ha!
 
My favorite fish. Great temperament, can be trained to eat off your hand. I have kept them at one point or another, throughout my years in the hobby, and my retirement tank will be 6 Lions and LR only.....
 
I love lion fish. Sulfides at the posts about having trouble getting them to eat. Maybe mine were already taught. I have had to feed them at one end of the tank so everybody else could eat. I did have an angler that was tough to start.
 
I had zebra dwarfs and fuzzy dwarfs years ago, and would love to have a lion of some type now, but pretty sure my picasso trigger would use any species as a giant chew toy, and the larger species would eat the smaller fish in my FOWLR.
 
Lionfish are what got me into the hobby. Unfortunately I think they need a talk almost built for them with slow moving water (to allow them to show off their elaborate fins) and large caves/overhangs. Definately a no go in my high energy SPS tank. Also, the price for them has become outrageous, which I can't wrap my head around since they are being hunted in Florida.
My wife and I moved from Hawaii to south carolina and she was astounded to see wrasses we used as bait while fishing going for $50+ at the store. I explained that catching the fish is the easy part. But doing it so the fish is uninjured is harder. Its way easier to spear a fish or hook it than it is toncatch it in a net. Then you have to keep it alive until you can get it to a holding facility and sell it to say a distributor. They're going to hold it and ship it to a wholesaler in say LA, who is going to in turn sell it to your lfs. And every step in the chain not only has to make up for losses,but also make a profit, so there's a healthy markup at every step of the way. So that $50 fish probably netted the guy who caught it $2.
 
My wife and I moved from Hawaii to south carolina and she was astounded to see wrasses we used as bait while fishing going for $50+ at the store. I explained that catching the fish is the easy part. But doing it so the fish is uninjured is harder. Its way easier to spear a fish or hook it than it is toncatch it in a net. Then you have to keep it alive until you can get it to a holding facility and sell it to say a distributor. They're going to hold it and ship it to a wholesaler in say LA, who is going to in turn sell it to your lfs. And every step in the chain not only has to make up for losses,but also make a profit, so there's a healthy markup at every step of the way. So that $50 fish probably netted the guy who caught it $2.
I agree with all of that....except for that fact that lionfish were cheaper prior to them being invasive.....they were caught the same way then. That is that part I don't understand.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top