No Zoanthid growth but Palythoa growing

sketh

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2024
Messages
50
Reaction score
29
Location
New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several Zoanthid species in my tank which have not seem to grown a single polyp in over 50 days. The coloration is great on all of them with no dullish signs or melting signs.

However, I have a purple people eater palythoa which has doubled in polyps (4 -> 9) since I added it to the tank (~40 days).

Why are my PPE Palys growing very well but there seems to be no growth at all for my Zoas even though their coloration makes them seem super healthy.

pH: 8.0
Temp: 78° F
Nitrates: ~2 ppm
Phosphates ~0.2ppm

Is there anything I can do to promote Zoanthid growth to the same rate as the Palythoas?

IMG_3887.jpeg IMG_3888.jpeg
 
To be honest I've always had a hard time with zoa's, IDK why. Pally's grow like weeds, but zoa's really struggle in my tank.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe try amino acids or something similar to supplement the low nitrate.
I broadcast feed a capful of Zooplanktos-S every so often to increase nitrates and allow algae growth for my urchin.

Target feeding Zooplanktos-S seems inefficient because their coloration dulls afterwards. Pretty certain it’s because my zoanthids cannot process the nutrients when target feeding.
 
Upvote 0

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top