NOPOX use in conjunction with Chemi Pure Blue

schooncw

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 23, 2014
Messages
746
Reaction score
563
Location
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use NOPOX in conjunction with Chemi Pure Blue? The Red Sea tech told me that I could use carbon but did not get back to me on my chemi pure blue question.
I am aware that my system does need a degree of nutrients.
Thanks.
 
The concern from the manufacturer is the Po4 May drop rapidly.
So if you opt to carbon dose and use a phosphate bidet make sure you test often.
 
Thank you for your reply. My concern was that it would interfere with the efficacy of nopox. I have a large amount of live rock in my 120, much of it 25 or so years old and I am convinced that it is leeching PO into my system continuously. To be clear, you see no harm using product in conjunction w nopox that also reduces PO, as long as I monitor it closely and it does not drop too rapidly?
 
Thank you for your reply. My concern was that it would interfere with the efficacy of nopox. I have a large amount of live rock in my 120, much of it 25 or so years old and I am convinced that it is leeching PO into my system continuously. To be clear, you see no harm using product in conjunction w nopox that also reduces PO, as long as I monitor it closely and it does not drop too rapidly?

What is phosphate at now? And has it been rising?

Why are you convinced the rocks are leaching phosphate?
 
My PO is always 1.0 or so, even when running rowaphos. Granted, my 120 is very heavily stocked and I am also guilty of overfeeding but having said that, I have been told my many in the industry-and from my own research-that rock that has been in aquaria for many years will do this.
 
Thank you for your reply. My concern was that it would interfere with the efficacy of nopox. I have a large amount of live rock in my 120, much of it 25 or so years old and I am convinced that it is leeching PO into my system continuously. To be clear, you see no harm using product in conjunction w nopox that also reduces PO, as long as I monitor it closely and it does not drop too rapidly?
Correct. It’s fine. Keep an eye on the Po4 levels.

Yes it’s normal. It’s how Po4 behaves. It binds to rock and sand. As it is bound from the water to the rock it stays in equilibrium with the water.
So technically it’s not “leaching” it’s just there sharing the space. lol
 
I use both in my 90 SPS dominant tank. I like to maintain my nitrates below 10 and phosphates below 10 ppb on the Hannah checker. If the phosphates creep up then I replace the chemipure blue. It will bring it down and maintain for about 2 months for me. I use the 11 oz bag that treats 75 g. My total water volume is around 100-110g. Make sure not to shock your system. To me it's easier than cleaning out reactors or grooming cheato.
 
Thanks for the replies. I am curious.....if I continue to use nopox and/or other PO reducers, should the PO eventually get "sucked" out of my rock?
Yea. Gfo works kinda like the rocks do. It sucks it out of the water.
Nopox is bacteria food. Organic carbon dosing. So it feeds the bacteria to create a larger population to eat the Po4 out of the water.
 
Thanks again for the reply. I'm not chasing numbers and my simple 120 gallon mixed reef looks great but my nitrates are always off the charts-heavy load and feeding-and I just tested PO4 and that's at 0.5. I placed 2 x 8x8x4" Marine Pure blocks in my sump 2 weeks ago, been dosing nopox for a week and just put 3 x chemi pure bags in my sump. Am hoping to develop a good colony of anaerobic bacteria to take my nitrates down, with the nopox and marine pure blocks.
 
Just keep an eye on both. That’s a lot of changes all at once.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top