Not sure what this is on my Gramma

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
1,386
Reaction score
1,570
Location
Tampa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adult Gramma. This fish has been acting weird for a year. Would never come out of the rock, until one day it was hanging at the top in distress. Now days it lays on the bottom, sometimes on its side, sometimes upside down like it's dead, and I saw something on the side. I moved it out to quarantine. It's had multiple treatments of Prazi. I suspected flukes due to another gramma that was scratching, but I had a DNA test done and it showed no parasites in my tank. Anyway, not sure what this growth is. Any ideas?
Gramma.png
 
Adult Gramma. This fish has been acting weird for a year. Would never come out of the rock, until one day it was hanging at the top in distress. Now days it lays on the bottom, sometimes on its side, sometimes upside down like it's dead, and I saw something on the side. I moved it out to quarantine. It's had multiple treatments of Prazi. I suspected flukes due to another gramma that was scratching, but I had a DNA test done and it showed no parasites in my tank. Anyway, not sure what this growth is. Any ideas?
Gramma.png
Pic very fuxxy but looks like Asterina starfish. Get rid of it before it multiplies and heads fior your corals
 
Adult Gramma. This fish has been acting weird for a year. Would never come out of the rock, until one day it was hanging at the top in distress. Now days it lays on the bottom, sometimes on its side, sometimes upside down like it's dead, and I saw something on the side. I moved it out to quarantine. It's had multiple treatments of Prazi. I suspected flukes due to another gramma that was scratching, but I had a DNA test done and it showed no parasites in my tank. Anyway, not sure what this growth is. Any ideas?
Gramma.png
That isn’t a fluke (or an asterina). It is most likely an internal fungal infection that has erupted onto the surface of the fish. Sorry, but it isn’t readily treatable. I had one case that I was able to cure with daily 75 ppm formalin dips for 3 days, but in that case, it wasn’t growing from a vital area like this one is.
Jay
 
Not an asterina. Looks like it's in the juncture of the fin. Here is a better pic. Should be able to zoom in on it.
Gramma 2.jpg
 
Hate to euthanize it. Had it over two years, but it always seems sick, now this.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top