Nuvo 20 Aquascape - Which do you think is best?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aprod
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Aprod

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2018
Messages
75
Reaction score
47
Location
Chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a IM 20 Gallon Nuvo Fusion AIO tank this weekend and wanted to get R2R's thoughts on potential rockscapes. I have 7 options listed below and would like to hear which you think is the best.

As a side note, I received 5 separate pieces of rock from BRS and one of them is absolutely massive.

Option 1:
Option 1.jpg

Option 2:
Option 2.jpg

Option 3:
Option 3.jpg
Option 3 (2).jpg

Option 4:
Option 4.jpg
Option 4 (2).jpg

Option 5:
Option 5.jpg
Option 5 (2).jpg

Option 6:
Option 6.jpg
Option 6 (2).jpg

Option 7:
Option 7.jpg
Option 7(2).jpg
 
I like 3 4 and 5, hope that helps narrow it down ;)

You should add a poll to sum up everyone's thoughts, make sure you let people chose multiple choices.
 
Last edited:
Option 1 definitely, it looks much more natural and ‘flowing’!

But you’ve got to look at it so......

And welcome to R2R as well!
 
Option 1 and it isn't close in my opinion. I like more minimalist scapes and you generally, imo, want it to look like an actual reef formation and not just a stack of rocks.
 
I like #1.
It will make the tank look larger than it actually is.
You'll have room on the sandbed (if you're using one of course) for low level corals, plenty of room on rock for other corals.
Lots of different levels for mounting corals.
Lots of room for corals to grow to fill in spaces.
Swim space and hiding places for fish.

#3 is my next choice.
 
I know the weekend has passed so you probably set the rocks already but here's my thoughts:

First choice is #4
Second Choice is #3
Third choice is # 5

If you set it up can you post pics?
 
Appreciate everyone's feedback on the Aquascapes! Based off everyone's feedback and playing around with the dry rock in the tank, I decided to do an offshoot of Option 1. The one large rock I received from BRS was just too massive to effectively put into the 20g tank.
Aquascape (1).JPG

Aquascape (4).jpg

Aquascape (3).jpg

I am pretty excited about this layout for a few reasons - A. The formation on the left has several workable levels for coral growth as well as a "cave" element in the center, B. The off-center aspect of the large formation seems visually pleasing, & C. one of the smaller offshoot rocks can be used to contain GSP growth.

I added around 30 pounds of sand and filled the tank up with distilled water and here is the latest image. Once the dust settles, I will send a final image and get everyone's feedback. Thanks again!
Aquascape with Water.jpg
 
The sand has settled in the tank and below is the final product. I was surprised by how much of the rock formation was covered by the sand and frankly a bit disappointed by the final lay-out since some of the features I enjoyed when laying on the glass eventually became covered. Here is a side-by-side shot to show you what I mean.
upload_2018-12-27_9-39-21.png


FTS:
upload_2018-12-27_9-39-59.png


I still appreciate the minimalist aspect of the design, but it is almost approaching a barren feel, so I am considering swapping out the low lying rocks on the right side with a more vertical element, or perhaps checking out the LFS live rock. Not sure how difficult adjustments are now that the sand has been added to the tank.

Interested to see what others have to say.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top