Ocean Live Rock 25 Gallon IM Lagoon

Edited...

Here is a before and after shot after trimming back the Caulerpa racemosa (I just got a better ID on this from another thread. I believe it is Caulerpa chemnitzia) the other day. I took the cuttings to my LFS and they traded water for it.

They like to have the variety, and gives me an excuse to visit the shop, and I get free water! It is way better than just throwing it away. I removed about 3 months of growth. I did not trim the red stuff, but I have a wad of that growing out in the "sin bin".

IMG_5674.jpg


IMG_5678.jpg
 
Last edited:
Been awhile, thought I would give an update. The little blue neon went missing about a week ago. I know I have a small gorilla crab. I suspect he got little blue. That neon was pretty spastic though. He hid a lot, and when he did come out, he would dart around the tank like he was freaking out. grab a few bites of food and then go back into the rocks. We has an Ora tank bred fish. Don't know if that contributed to his weird nature.

So all I had for fish was the YWG who hid a lot. He is well paired with his shrimp, but I rarely see them. So I picked up an old favorite of mine. Another firefish.
IMG_5739.jpg

Now the YWG is embolden and puts on threatening displays in the fire fish's direction regularly. So, I get to see him more too.
image0 (20).jpeg
 
On the equipment side, I finally installed an IM Bioskim protein skimmer. I have had pH testing a little low lately (7.5ish in the morning, 8.0ish in the evening), so i thought it might help raise that a bit. Also nitrates were around 40 after 6 weeks. Did a water change and decided to install skimmer.

The hanger bracket, much to my surprise, would not adjust to hang the device at the correct height in my IM 25 Nuvo lagoon. Seems odd that an IM product is not compatible with another IM product... I had to permanently alter it to get it to hang correctly. Not impressed by that, but other than that it was easy to set and tune, and was producing skimmate within hours of installation. If I had it to do over again, I would go with a different brand.

image1 (17).jpeg
 
Tanks really looking good! I love fire fish. I see mine about once a week. I wanna try a goby again so bad. 2 out of 2 have not paired with the crankiest old shrimp on the planet and both have jumped (yes I have a cover).

What shrimp do you have? Mines a Randall's, I've tried a blue spot and and orange spot with him. Neither even remotely took.

Look at the bubble magus miniq. It's 70 bucks and fits right in the second chamber (either side) on the IM 25. I have one in my 14 and am pulling the ice cap nano out of the 25 and putting in the mini q. It's just a much better nano skimmer than any other I've ever seen and it's not even close.
 
Tanks really looking good! I love fire fish. I see mine about once a week. I wanna try a goby again so bad. 2 out of 2 have not paired with the crankiest old shrimp on the planet and both have jumped (yes I have a cover).

What shrimp do you have? Mines a Randall's, I've tried a blue spot and and orange spot with him. Neither even remotely took.
Thanks! I have a Tiger. He is huge. I was concerned about pairing him with a little YWG, but they are doing great! Also the last known picture of Elvis...

I watched the Tiger (Tom Petty) chasing a porcelain crab from a burrow entrance while snapping his pistol at it numerous times. The crab was unharmed.

IMG_5694.jpg

FTS from July 4th just for fun!
IMG_5734.jpg
 
Firefish jumped today while I was at work. Lasted 27 days. That is a little more than a dollar a day. I guess it was worth it. Probably won't get another one.
 
Or maybe I will listen to my teenage daughter and get a MORE EXPENSIVE carpet surfer...

I hope it goes well.
image8 (2).jpeg

2 Wild Peppermints dropped in
image5 (5) - Copy.jpeg

Porcelain Crabs keep posing...
image0 (23).jpeg

image0 (22).jpeg
 
Love your tank! I am going to do a IM25 as a frag tank. I will most likely tear out the AIO aspect of it and run a Eshopps prodigy overflow just like I did with my IM40.
I also love the simplicity of your tank. It reminds me a bit of my tide pool tank. The discovery of new sea creatures off of live rock is an experience that all reefers should have.
 
Love your tank! I am going to do a IM25 as a frag tank. I will most likely tear out the AIO aspect of it and run a Eshopps prodigy overflow just like I did with my IM40.
I also love the simplicity of your tank. It reminds me a bit of my tide pool tank. The discovery of new sea creatures off of live rock is an experience that all reefers should have.
Thanks man. That is a really nice complement.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top