Ocean Revive LEDS - running tons of white

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 21, 2008
Messages
6,548
Reaction score
28,444
Location
Austin
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I crazy here? I am currently going through a LED transition from 400-watt MHs and everyone warned me to take it slow, LEDs can bleach your corals very quickly, that the par being read on a par meter is not the same, and that I'll need to run more blues to keep my colors on my acros.

I've been running them for almost 2 months now, matched the exact same par as my MHs, and basically run a visually similar spectrum (at least to these eyes). I'm running the opposite of what most do, 80% white and 20% blue (on this fixture, you can go 100% on both white and blue).

My spectrum looks like my 14k 400-watt Radium bulb, at least to my eyes. I'm waiting for SPS to bleach... I'm waiting for colors to change in the acros... nothing.

It's been the most anticlimactic lighting change ever! Here's a FTS. The right fixture is the MH, the middle and left are LED.

f570ee98d63b2f25431ea181d4c5238c.jpg


Here's a video if it helps.


Am I crazy? My tank looks like I'm still running my MHs (minus the shimmering looks different) and my acros have not shifted colors in 2 months. Should I just stop complaining and just enjoy it? I can take the truth! Hit me with it! [emoji12]
 
WOW, now thats just plain crazy. Never seen someone run whites that high, and still get a 14k look. I'd leave em alone, tank looks rediculous!!
 
Thanks Reefer Madness! I'm pretty sure I'm just crazy and I'm dreaming all this up. I'm just waiting to open my canopy one day and realize they are all still MH up there.
 
I've still never heard a specific reason for why whites bleach corals. Personally, I think it's low nutrients combined with high alk that is the bigger issue, not the leds themselves.

Beautiful tank, I bet those fish and corals get fed often.
 
A metric ton! Not really but they sure do get fed! Thanks for the compliment!

I'm currently running 9.5 dKh for alk and run biopellets. I'm surprised I'm not getting burnt tips honestly... perhaps my overfeeding is helping offset the lack of nutrients from the carbon dosing.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top