Oceans Motions 4-way Plumbing ?s

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 6, 2020
Messages
79
Reaction score
49
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a used 180 gal closed loop system that utilizes the Oceans Motions 4 way. The Picture shows how the tank was drilled. My current idea was to use the back two holes for drains and the middle and front for returns. Am I able to run two of the 'channels' into one or cap on off without jeopardizing the wavemaker or anything else for that matter?

IMG_6347.JPG
 
You always want to make sure the pump outlet is not restricted as this could damage the pump. I would not plug one of the outlets of the Ocean Motions unit. The tank was likely designed to have the middle as the inlet and the 4 corners as the outlets. This is likely what I would do.
 
You always want to make sure the pump outlet is not restricted as this could damage the pump. I would not plug one of the outlets of the Ocean Motions unit. The tank was likely designed to have the middle as the inlet and the 4 corners as the outlets. This is likely what I would do.
After some discussion with some other local reefers this will be the path I take. Thank you for your response
 
It should be great. I think my next tank may be a closed loop build they just look so clean and I really miss not having powerheads in the tank.
 
I ran an OM diverter for many years with two of the ports capped. It depends on which flow drum yours uses. Mine was version 3 that had two ports open at any one time, so you can cap one on each pair and not create any problems. If yours is version 1, where each of the four operate individually and sequentially, you would not want to cap any of them.

An absolutely awesome piece of tech, just keep sand out of it and it will last along time.
 
Thank you for everyone's feedback! After some thought and consideration I am going to be utilizing all 4 channels
napoleon dynamite happy dance GIF
 
I ran an OM diverter for many years with two of the ports capped. It depends on which flow drum yours uses. Mine was version 3 that had two ports open at any one time, so you can cap one on each pair and not create any problems. If yours is version 1, where each of the four operate individually and sequentially, you would not want to cap any of them.

An absolutely awesome piece of tech, just keep sand out of it and it will last along time.
I started with an OM squirt and upgraded to the 4-way

Paul is an amazing guy and the OM was way ahead of its time. I think he and the company fell upon hard times several years ago. We have since lost touch as I too stepped away from the public side of the hobby for the better part of a decade.

I still have the 4-way with a set of drums. It may be time to let it go, but I doubt there is much demand these days with DC pumps everywhere.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top