Octo sss 110 protein skimmer. Help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jhern
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Jhern

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 10, 2019
Messages
62
Reaction score
51
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have my Octo protein skimmer and it’s letting all these micro bubbles out and into the display, my tank has been running for two weeks and I’m not sure to adjust the power level I guess ? From 1-5. Not sure what it should be at. The higher I put it, the more bubbles come from the bottom and top
 

Attachments

  • 59096768938__E74269A1-0037-4B4E-A6AA-E938CAEE2B31.MOV
    1.3 MB
So I have my Octo protein skimmer and it’s letting all these micro bubbles out and into the display, my tank has been running for two weeks and I’m not sure to adjust the power level I guess ? From 1-5. Not sure what it should be at. The higher I put it, the more bubbles come from the bottom and top
Also my salinity drops every time I turn my skimmer on
 
How long has this skimmer been running? You need to dial it back so the foam is not overflowing the collection cup. Then after it settles in the micro bubbles should stop
 
How long has this skimmer been running? You need to dial it back so the foam is not overflowing the collection cup. Then after it settles in the micro bubbles should stop
Gotcha so I should have it on 1 for now? I lowered it to one and the water is overflowing with less bubbles from the cup. And a little bit from the bottom
 
I have one and should but it on 5
Seems to be backward to me to but that's how it works
As it runs you can slowly adjust the number down
And make sure your running it at right depth
 
I have one and should but it on 5
Seems to be backward to me to but that's how it works
As it runs you can slowly adjust the number down
And make sure your running it at right depth
I have one and should but it on 5
Seems to be backward to me to but that's how it works
As it runs you can slowly adjust the number down
And make sure your running it at right depth
My salinity is dropping fast, about .2 ppt every 10 mins... Should I turn it off ?
 
How high is the water level the sump is sitting in? Should be between 7 and 8 inches for optimal performance
 
Skimmer will pull water in if your ato is set , its probably filling when water level in sump goes down, should equal out
 
My salinity is dropping fast, about .2 ppt every 10 mins... Should I turn it off ?

Salinity would only drop if your removing the water from the cup and replacing it with fresh water through your ATO
 
I haven’t replaced any water.
Salinity would only drop if your removing the water from the cup and replacing it with fresh water through your ATO
As soon as I turn on my skimmer, my salinity just starts dropping. No water replacement is happening
 
Skimmer will pull water in if your ato is set , its probably filling when water level in sump goes down, should equal out
No water is being put it or taken out. I just turn on my skimmer and the salinity drops ??
 
Are you useing salinity probe ?if so could be from micro bubbles causing a false reading
 
Move probe away from skimmer and check to make sure your not getting electrical interference from the power cord of skimmer close to probe
 
Move probe away from skimmer and check to make sure your not getting electrical interference from the power cord of skimmer close to probe
I have my skimmer in my first chamber and my probes in my second chamber. The micro bubbles and going all the way to the display so I can’t really change that
 
Then check salinity another way skimmer want cause salinity to go down unless your ato is coming on
 
Then check salinity another way skimmer want cause salinity to go down unless your ato is coming on
Okay so I won’t worry about that. My skimmer cup is full of mostly water, should I dump that into the sump and it refill ?
 
Okay so I won’t worry about that. My skimmer cup is full of mostly water, should I dump that into the sump and it refill ?

image.jpg
 
It won't hurt to leave it for now
Just let skimmer run,on at least 5 for a while,then you can dump cup and readjust skimmer
 
It may take a day or two ,but when you see skimmer bubbles have fallen you can adjust then
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top