Oh no my alkalinty is too high.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2013
Messages
7,217
Reaction score
403
Location
WEST TEXAS
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i got a new dosing pump and set it to same dose as i was manually dosing and now my alk. level is at 16 dkh. If i quit dosing alk and leave it alone will it come down by itself in time or should i be lowering it now?
 
Water changes will help in the short term. It will fall but that high will take some time. Water changes are your best bet right now.
 
Should be ok for the time being. Depending on how much your tank uses it, but as long as your Cal and PH are ok, I'd leave it.
 
once I accidently turn on my timer, dosing pump dump 3/4gallon alk to my 65g in 20hour period time.
it spike from 9dkh to 14.7 dkh. luckly no stress on my live stock. I let it slowly drop.
 
Everything seems okay i was making my own sodium carbonate and recently bought some bulk cabonate from Drs. Smith and Foster and it must be stronger than my baked baking soda. I have turned doser off and will keep an eye on that alk. level.
 
been down that road by accident once and then a bad timer another. it should be fine if it was slowly raised just let it slowly decrease
 
i thought i had heard the a dkh of 12 or higher will start messing up the equipment in your tank? Might want to check that out or maybe it was just some stupid rumor
 
Good news alk. is down to 12 everything is doing okay.
 
Yea, right on. Doesn't take long for that to go down with a healthy system. Coralline alone brings it down right quickly.
 
This is one reason I like keeping it simple. When it comes to alk and ca I always just get brs products, follow directions, and use their calculator. That way there isn't any question. Glad it's okay now! BUT u may wanna stick to one product because these types of swings can be a huge issue on the regular!
 
I think the Drs. Foster and Smith bulk addivetives are probaly the same as Brs. I think my problem might be that i did not bake the soda long enough and it did not have the same strenth as commercial products. Learned a lesson i should have started out with a lower dose witha the new doser.
 
All is well its already down to 10.5. Pointing the powerhead towards surface will help release co2 which will help raise ph.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top