ok who can help me with Mbuna Cichlids

RWinfrey

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
631
Reaction score
303
Location
Ct
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know all about the set up and how to care for the fish. what i am looking for is stocking insight it will be a 90 gallon heavily filtered:xd:
 
I have a 55 gallon all peacock tank and I love it. Been thru a bunch of different cichlids in the past and these guys are by far the best to keep imo
 
Holy crap if you need some Kenya's please pm me... You can definitely come and take some and I can show you the controlled overstock I have going on in my 75 gallon mbuna tank... Been doing cichlids for more than 20 years now
 
you guys have any pics
 
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1424533814.747310.jpg

My 75
 
That looks great
 
Thanks... On the side view the one on the bottom is my kenyi female that has bred several times.... I have a bunch of tiny guys right now if you want any you can have them for free
 
sure and thanks but it will be a little while . i am redoing this for a good friend . so i will be doing a fishless cycle ala dr.tim. ... filtration will be an ehiem classic 2217 and a rena xp4 , the rock work i am using caribsea rock and there cichlid substrate, oh i forgot to mention there will be a 40 watt sterilizer.....
 
Here's my tank. Hard to get good pics cause they all want to hide in the rocks
 

Attachments

  • DSC02512.jpg
    DSC02512.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 762
  • DSC02523.jpg
    DSC02523.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC02522.jpg
    DSC02522.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC02517.jpg
    DSC02517.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 214
like the look of tha tank!. I Used to have peacocks too , bangai yellow or whatever was such a sweet looking male .. Mbuna are all about overcrowding really to control with aggression and are vegeterians for most part
 
Thanx... I used to do mbunas but I like the temperament of peacocks better. There's about 6 more in there that wouldn't come out for pictures lol. I think the sand upgrade was the best thing I ever did for my tank
 
That looks great what kind of sand did you put in there
 
I don't know if it's still made but its mystic white pool filter sand. Had it in there about 4 years and never had the first problem with the sand bed. Nothing gets under it like the gravel so it's super easy to keep the tank clean.
 
Ok i found the sand does it happen to buffer your water ........so i can use a bunch of regular rocks instead of limestone
 
Don't really know for sure but I don't use any normal rocks either. I just use the cichlid stones which are ceramic (I think) and some decorator stumps from my LFS's. My fish always stay colored up and healthy. Never had any issues
 
What about cichlid salt for mbuna's
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top