Okay, how big a trickle is too big a trickle?

SallyWho

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2017
Messages
774
Reaction score
576
Location
SW Missouri
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To piggy-back on my last thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/plumbing-leak-test-failure-at-of-box.428563/ I have now installed two additional gaskets. So, on the bulkheads between the inner overflow box and the exterior box, there is a gasket on both sides directly against the glass. However, every 90 seconds or so, I still get a little bead of water dripping down the back of the tank from both sides where the bulkheads are. I've tried loosening the bulkheads a bit in case they were screwed on too tightly, and it became a trickle every 30s, so I tightened them back down. The nut is as tight as I can get it by hand in the cramped exterior box. Why do I still have a tiny leak? I examined all the gaskets- no burrs, tears, cracks, etc. The bulkheads themselves aren't cracked, either. I did notice as I was refilling the tank that water was oozing into the exterior box as the water line reached the bulkheads, long before the waterline hit the teeth at the top of the interior box, so I know it's got to be those gaskets. Do you think maybe the leak will resolve on its own as the gaskets get a little wet and seal to the glass better? That's just a wild guess, but it sounds like a reasonable theory! If that's the case, will this resolve in, say, a few hours, or do I need to drain the tank down below the bulkheads again before I go to bed? Or, alternatively, when I make the tank salty, will salt creep eventually seal off those little dribbles? What are your thoughts? Thank you!
 
I honestly don’t think the leak will fix itself. Perhaps put some silicone on the wet side of the gasket ( the gasket against the glass in the water) to seal it?
 
I am not familiar with the specifics of this overflow, but I did look at your earlier post and here are my comments.

1. The link to the overflow appears to have the flange on the inside of the tank....that's fine....and you need a gasket on that flange.

2. You definitely need a second gasket between the outside of the tank and the external box....to keep water seeping past the nut back towards the tank from leaking. No gasket on the nut.

3. The picture you provided of the box install, it appears you have the external box up against the plastic tank frame. The thickness of this frame could be keeping the gasket from sealing the back of the tank to the external box. I think this is your problem.

I would not continue with the build until there are no leaks. It won't fix itself.
 
This has worked for me. Like Bill said. What I have done is take silicone on the male side and covered the threads. Then screwed everything together. Not only will you have a water tight seal, you will also be able to screw it tighter by hand. I would not use a wrench if you are using silicone.
 
Last edited:
Well, poop on a stick. Guess I'll have to drain it again and take it apart to fix it. @redfishbluefish The exterior box has a cutout up top for that very reason- to allow for trim. I tried to take a better picture to show that.

My current configuration is interior box- acrylic plate containing the flange side of bulkheads-gasket-glass-gasket-threaded part of bulkhead-exterior box-bulkhead nut. Is the consensus to silicone the inner gasket to the glass? I thought you weren't supposed to do that?
20180806_110453.jpeg
 
Well, poop on a stick. Guess I'll have to drain it again and take it apart to fix it. @redfishbluefish The exterior box has a cutout up top for that very reason- to allow for trim. I tried to take a better picture to show that.

My current configuration is interior box- acrylic plate containing the flange side of bulkheads-gasket-glass-gasket-threaded part of bulkhead-exterior box-bulkhead nut. Is the consensus to silicone the inner gasket to the glass? I thought you weren't supposed to do that?
20180806_110453.jpeg

There should be NO acrylic plate....just the flange and gasket up against the glass. Did you use the drill guide and install that? That's the guide to show where the holes are drilled. Once drilled, you don't install this piece of plexi.
 
Actually, now that I've given this some thought, you only need one gasket per bulkhead. That gasket goes between the external box and the tank. No gasket needed on the flange because if it leaks, it leaks down the threads through the glass hole, past the gasket that is making a seal, and into the box. So only one gasket per bulkhead.
 
There should be NO acrylic plate....just the flange and gasket up against the glass. Did you use the drill guide and install that? That's the guide to show where the holes are drilled. Once drilled, you don't install this piece of plexi.
Wait just one hot minute.....you mean to tell me that that plexiglass panel was just the drilling template, not part of the actual apparatus, and doesn't belong there?! I AM AN IDIOT. :mad: Oh my god I am so mad! Well, I'll betcha there's my problem!! Great Caesar's ghost....well, at least y'all stopped me from ignoring something I shouldn't. It's way past my bedtime, so I'll get rid of the godforsaken plate tomorrow and try again. Son of a biscuit eating bulldog, this has been driving me nuts! I'm sure I'll laugh about it tomorrow!
20180806_112433.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Wait just one hot minute.....you mean to tell me that that plexiglass panel was just the drilling template, not part of the actual apparatus, and doesn't belong there?! I AM AN IDIOT. :mad: Oh my god I am so mad! Well, I'll betcha there's my problem!! Great Caesar's ghost....well, at least y'all stopped me from ignoring something I shouldn't. It's way past my bedtime, so I'll get rid of the godforsaken plate tomorrow and try again. Son of a biscuit eating bulldog, this has been driving me nuts! I'm sure I'll laugh about it tomorrow!
20180806_112433.jpeg


No problem. Sometimes the instructions aren’t clear with aquarium stuff, also, if you can silicone the gaskets with clear silicone that would add an extra layer of protection
 
Lol I hope that’s the fix you need! I’ve done stupid things before and about smacked myself!
 
Oh wow, I completely missed the plexiglass in the first picture. It seems like you caught the issue.
 
Wait just one hot minute.....you mean to tell me that that plexiglass panel was just the drilling template, not part of the actual apparatus, and doesn't belong there?! I AM AN IDIOT. :mad:

HANG ON ..... maybe not. I have the older version of the MM where the internal weir is not removable. In my case, the internal box 'aligns' the bulkheads. In the case of the removable weir, that plexiglass panel may be there to ensure the bulkheads remained aligned to the stubs on the weir (does it not specify that in the instructions?) .... though it could also be the template. I will reiterate what I said in your other thread, there is no need for a gasket inside the tank, just one between the tank and the external box - otherwise the weir protrudes too far into the tank. I would absolutely not use silicone on the bulkheads, though putting some molycote on the gasket between the tank and box can be helpful. The other thing I find useful is to put a piece of gasket between the bottom of the box and the tank so it cannot torque from the weight of the plumbing. Also, make sure that you remove any paint from under the gasket. Gasket should be on clean glass, not paint.
 
I'm in agreement with @ca1ore with the exception of potentially using the drill template in the assembly. Once used to drill the holes, you're done with that template. You loosely attach the bulkheads to the external box, with that one gasket sandwiched between the glass and the box. You now insert the internal weir portion, which will perfectly align the bulkheads. The bulkhead nuts are snugged up.....done, with no leaks. :D :cool: And the internal weir is aligned, coming on and off easily.
 
Wonder of wonders. Removing the plexiglass plate that didn't need to be there totally fixed the leak at the overflow box. *eyeroll* Now I can address all the leaks in my plumbing! LOL!

I'm in my 8 day long stretch at work, but on my next night off, I swear to cheezits that this thing is getting done!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top