Opinions needed for new setup - Black Sand yes or no

  • Thread starter Thread starter JenB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

JenB

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2014
Messages
731
Reaction score
255
Location
Mount Dora, Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought another tank off of craigslist... This one will be mine. It's a 65 gallon (smallest that we own). I want black sand - but my husband doesn't think it's a good idea. So I need opinions on that also feedback from those that have black sand. Also - we will be moving my BTAs into this tank because they are getting too close to the sps corals in the 220g. So it'll have 4 BTAs in it - So I'm not sure about coral yet - but does anyone have any aquascape designs that would be BTA friendly? I was thinking an inverted V... but looking for ideas. We still have to re-paint the stand, get a skimmer lights

Also - purple live rock - yes or no? Or just get regular live rock and wait for coraline to cover it
 
Black sand gives great contrast to brightly colored corals and masks any diatoms and detritus on the sand bed. I think it looks great. However light colored sand may bounce light back up to the bottom of your corals. Maybe. Ive read that but im not convinced.

I personally prefer to start with dry rock and add only a few pieces of cured live rock simply vor cost effects and pest control.
 
I have black sand in mine and I really like it. Same reasons as those stated by @Pfisherman
 
Had black sand for 5 years...gets kinda old and doesn't look very natural...but it does make your coral and fish pop...I'm switching it out with special grade reef sand...tired of the black
 
Black sand usually contains iron and is magnetic. It's just a matter of time until you get a piece in your mag float and scratch up your tank.
 
I have black and white sand from the Pacific ocean. It is Caribbean sea live sand. I guess it does look dirty but, hey? When It is really dirty you can't really tell that much by looking at it.:p I choose it because the Fish I going to get come from that Ocean. :cool: You said this was your tank, yes? Buy the Sand You like and you are good. :p:p:p:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
 
I re- read your post and see that your putting in BTA's. Get ready for a pleasant surprise after introduction of these BTA's. They will likely divide again. Yepper that's right. Large water changes and moving to a new tank usual causes this to happen. It just takes one.:eek::D:D:D:D Do Enjoy. P1000137.JPG P1000149.JPG P1000471.JPG
 
I just set up mine with black sand after the past 10 years of white sand. I wanted a change and I love the way all the corals and fish pop under the black
 
My btas split in my 220g too. We traded some of them. I think I have 5 left and one is staying in the 220 for two of the clowns. My other two host in my hammer lol
 
I love how it looks! Where does the white end up coming from in established tanks? Why does it get a salt and pepper look eventually?
 
My btas split in my 220g too. We traded some of them. I think I have 5 left and one is staying in the 220 for two of the clowns. My other two host in my hammer lol
One thing I didn't say was before I sold and or gave away All mine is that I started with one and after a 1.5 years I had 10. So I do think it is cool that your going to dedicate a tank to them. My Largest one was 12" X 7" when expanded. Latter :D:D:cool::cool::cool:
 
One thing I didn't say was before I sold and or gave away All mine is that I started with one and after a 1.5 years I had 10. So I do think it is cool that your going to dedicate a tank to them. My Largest one was 12" X 7" when expanded. Latter :D:D:cool::cool::cool:
Wow!!! That's huge!!! Saw you're local - figured I'd throw a little local fun spot commercial in there "it's huge!!"
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top