Opinions on larger fish for 90 Gal!

Brooke24

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2020
Messages
734
Reaction score
307
Location
Canton
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m back on the forums for like the 800th time lol. So, I wanted some opinions on a little bit larger size fish that could go in my tank!:) (FOR TANGS)!! (BASED OFF OF EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE!!!) I wanted a little bit of a larger fish, so just opinions on good fish. Obviously I know that it can’t be too big, but the max size for my tank for them to thrive!! A purple tang, powder blue, lavender tang ( can someone give specific advice on these guys? I’m in love with them.)!! Thanks!
 
I’m back on the forums for like the 800th time lol. So, I wanted some opinions on a little bit larger size fish that could go in my tank!:) (FOR TANGS)!! (BASED OFF OF EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE!!!) I wanted a little bit of a larger fish, so just opinions on good fish. Obviously I know that it can’t be too big, but the max size for my tank for them to thrive!! A purple tang, powder blue, lavender tang ( can someone give specific advice on these guys? I’m in love with them.)!! Thanks!
Desjardini is beautiful as well as Lieutenant tangs. Purple add flavor, yellow pop, gem tangs are sick, koi tang if you can find one.
 
You want to know what kind of Tang can go into your 90 gal tank?
90 gal is a little limited for Tangs. You can keep a Yellow tang in it long term. This is about as big of a tang you can keep in there. Other tangs included a lot of the Bristletooth tangs other than the Chevron. I would not put in it any other tang.
Yellow plus a smaller Bristletooth species like a Kole or Tomini.
 
A 90g is really a tough tank for "large", being a 4' tank. The tanks you mentioned really would do better in at least a 6' tank. The lavender maybe because they do stay small, but that would be borderline because the are a very active lateral swimmer. I like them and pics don't do them justice, these are what I call dancers, the way they swim is beautiful. A bristletooth or a kole tang would be a better fit. Maybe check out the one spot foxface, they will grow to their full size even in captivity. A marine betta is a nice fish for a 90g, just research their care as they can be difficult to feed in the beginning. Dwarf angels are great in a 90g, not really large but a good fit and alot of beautiful choices.
 
I’m back on the forums for like the 800th time lol. So, I wanted some opinions on a little bit larger size fish that could go in my tank!:) (FOR TANGS)!! (BASED OFF OF EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE!!!) I wanted a little bit of a larger fish, so just opinions on good fish. Obviously I know that it can’t be too big, but the max size for my tank for them to thrive!! A purple tang, powder blue, lavender tang ( can someone give specific advice on these guys? I’m in love with them.)!! Thanks!
The tang police have arrived...
ABD203C8-C5CA-449B-9F7B-4C12622E9DEE.jpeg
 
I keep a bunch of tangs in my 125, 6 foot tank. It’s about sleeping space and rock work more than anything.
 
I’m back on the forums for like the 800th time lol. So, I wanted some opinions on a little bit larger size fish that could go in my tank!:) (FOR TANGS)!! (BASED OFF OF EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE!!!) I wanted a little bit of a larger fish, so just opinions on good fish. Obviously I know that it can’t be too big, but the max size for my tank for them to thrive!! A purple tang, powder blue, lavender tang ( can someone give specific advice on these guys? I’m in love with them.)!! Thanks!
Desjardini is beautiful as well as Lieutenant tangs. Purple add flavor, yellow pop, gem tangs are sick, koi tang if you can find one.
If you want a beautiful, spotless, picture perfect tangs, you don't put a Chevron, PBT or Purple in a 90 gal tank. They become very aggressive and harass other fish to no end. They stressed themselves sick, have a shorted life and get your tank sick.
You asked for experiences. Been there, did that. I keep marine aquarium since 1980 and make plenty of mistakes like Sailfin, Purple and PBT in 90 gal tank. Spare yourself the grief.
Chevron2016051101.jpg
PBT2019040601.jpg
PowderBlueTang2019062403.jpg
PurpleTang2020032203.jpg
YellowTang2019052801.jpg
 
If you want a beautiful, spotless, picture perfect tangs, you don't put a Chevron, PBT or Purple in a 90 gal tank. They become very aggressive and harass other fish to no end. They stressed themselves sick, have a shorted life and get your tank sick.
You asked for experiences. Been there, did that. I keep marine aquarium since 1980 and make plenty of mistakes like Sailfin, Purple and PBT in 90 gal tank. Spare yourself the grief.
Chevron2016051101.jpg
PBT2019040601.jpg
PowderBlueTang2019062403.jpg
PurpleTang2020032203.jpg
YellowTang2019052801.jpg
True that!
 
Desjardini is beautiful as well as Lieutenant tangs. Purple add flavor, yellow pop, gem tangs are sick, koi tang if you can find one.
Gem tangs are 800$ :( lieutenant tangs can go into a 90?
 
You want to know what kind of Tang can go into your 90 gal tank?
90 gal is a little limited for Tangs. You can keep a Yellow tang in it long term. This is about as big of a tang you can keep in there. Other tangs included a lot of the Bristletooth tangs other than the Chevron. I would not put in it any other tang.
Yellow plus a smaller Bristletooth species like a Kole or Tomini.
Thank you:(
 
A 90g is really a tough tank for "large", being a 4' tank. The tanks you mentioned really would do better in at least a 6' tank. The lavender maybe because they do stay small, but that would be borderline because the are a very active lateral swimmer. I like them and pics don't do them justice, these are what I call dancers, the way they swim is beautiful. A bristletooth or a kole tang would be a better fit. Maybe check out the one spot foxface, they will grow to their full size even in captivity. A marine betta is a nice fish for a 90g, just research their care as they can be difficult to feed in the beginning. Dwarf angels are great in a 90g, not really large but a good fit and alot of beautiful choices.
Yeah, of course no “large” fish haha! I just meant like the largest possible fish for my tank in able for them to thrive, cause I’m getting a lot more small and medium- sized fish, so I just wanted that one fish that was a little larger than the others.
 
If you want a beautiful, spotless, picture perfect tangs, you don't put a Chevron, PBT or Purple in a 90 gal tank. They become very aggressive and harass other fish to no end. They stressed themselves sick, have a shorted life and get your tank sick.
You asked for experiences. Been there, did that. I keep marine aquarium since 1980 and make plenty of mistakes like Sailfin, Purple and PBT in 90 gal tank. Spare yourself the grief.
Chevron2016051101.jpg
PBT2019040601.jpg
PowderBlueTang2019062403.jpg
PurpleTang2020032203.jpg
YellowTang2019052801.jpg
So the pictures you put, are okay long term in a 90 Gal?
 
I’m back on the forums for like the 800th time lol. So, I wanted some opinions on a little bit larger size fish that could go in my tank!:) (FOR TANGS)!! (BASED OFF OF EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE!!!) I wanted a little bit of a larger fish, so just opinions on good fish. Obviously I know that it can’t be too big, but the max size for my tank for them to thrive!! A purple tang, powder blue, lavender tang ( can someone give specific advice on these guys? I’m in love with them.)!! Thanks!
Interesting, as I am in a similar situation with planning my 90-gallon reef. My 75-gallon FOWLR came with a 4" purple tang in it, so I would like to make this fish work for a while.
I am also planning to have a Tomini tang (Chtenochaetus tominiensis), since they are one of my favorite tangs and should fit in a 90-gallon tank.

You want to know what kind of Tang can go into your 90 gal tank?
90 gal is a little limited for Tangs. You can keep a Yellow tang in it long term. This is about as big of a tang you can keep in there. Other tangs included a lot of the Bristletooth tangs other than the Chevron. I would not put in it any other tang.
Yellow plus a smaller Bristletooth species like a Kole or Tomini.
Is it a bad idea to keep a fish until it grows too large for a tank? I acquired a 75-gallon FOWLR with a 4" purple tang. I am planning an upgrade right now to use an empty 90-gallon tank for a reef. In the future, I have hopes to get a tank large enough to easily house fish up to the size of purple tangs and foxfaces. Could I keep the purple tang in the 90-gallon for several months or is it likely to grow fast and get stressed out in a 90-gallon?

I really dislike the idea of buying a fish that has to be re-homed when it grows, but the previous owner of my 75-gallon FOWLR already had fish that will grow to large (including a picasso trigger, rectangle trigger, and undulate trigger!), so I have a dilemma.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top