Opinions on this sponge growing in DT

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
10,593
Reaction score
15,225
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions as to whether or not I should be concerned about this sponge growing in one of my tanks. At least I think it's sponge. I've had sponges like this in my sump but don't remember ever seeing them in the DT. It's not bothering me but if it's invasive I may need to redo some rock work. It was staying in the fully shaded area but looks like it is just starting to creep out into the light just a bit at the bottom. I tried getting pics under different lighting. I cranked whites up, the area where the sponge is growing is ussualy more shaded.
Tank was set up 2/20/23 using all dry rock but I did add a tray of rock rubble from another sump to jump start it a bit.

FTS with the rock circled for reference
20231121_163227.jpg


Pics of the sponge. The little dead frag was not caused by the sponge. It never did well and I moved it to a lower light area as a last attempt to save it and just haven't removed it yet.
20231121_163227.jpg
20231121_161925.jpg
20231121_161935.jpg
20231121_162003.jpg
 
If it’s starting to grow out into the light, I’d definitely keep an eye on it. That said, if it does expand into the light, unless it grows really slowly, I’d assume it’s going to be invasive (not necessarily harmful, but invasive).
 
My eyes are terrible but I have some large sponges in my sump and my DT. I have a large orange one with tentacles like an octopus living my zoa patch. Times like this I just let the tank do what comes natural in the ocean. Seems like they develop a symbiotic relationship or something. There's bivalves mixed in there too.
 
If it’s starting to grow out into the light, I’d definitely keep an eye on it. That said, if it does expand into the light, unless it grows really slowly, I’d assume it’s going to be invasive (not necessarily harmful, but invasive).

My eyes are terrible but I have some large sponges in my sump and my DT. I have a large orange one with tentacles like an octopus living my zoa patch. Times like this I just let the tank do what comes natural in the ocean. Seems like they develop a symbiotic relationship or something. There's bivalves mixed in there too.

I think it's cool! Healthy tank if you ask me.

Thanks all. I was curious more than anything. Even if it expands the garf bonsai rock is not glued and the whole end where the sponge is at isn't glued either so removal would be easy. I'm normally a let things go as they go person but I have to keep a closer eye on this tank. Actually I think it's pretty cool to have something like this growing on dry rock after only 9 months and will probably toss it in another tank where I house misfits if it gets out of hand.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top