Options for shrinking holes of egg crate for acclimation box

  • Thread starter Thread starter SeeFu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

SeeFu

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2019
Messages
946
Reaction score
252
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've reached out to several people that can build acrylic acclimation boxes, but after a few emails they stop responding. My only option is to make my own out of egg crate, but the holes are to big. Is there anything I can wrap the egg crate with to make the holes smaller but still allow the fish inside and outside to see each other?
 
Clear nettting used to make screen tops.
 
is it safe to dip in that the tank water for months?
 
I use sheets of mesh plastic, you can get at a craft store or amazon. Connect sheets with small plastic ties.
 

Attachments

  • 62FAFD13-5B4C-4BE1-BDA4-5A85918E0D27.png
    62FAFD13-5B4C-4BE1-BDA4-5A85918E0D27.png
    674.1 KB · Views: 92
You can use nylon screening from Home Depot. I use it in my plenums to keep the sand out the dead areas. I had a plenum up for 4 years when I took it out the screening was the same as when I put it in.
 
I use sheets of mesh plastic, you can get at a craft store or amazon. Connect sheets with small plastic ties.
is this stuff stiff enough to hold its shape? I can just use that and not even bother with the egg crate
 
I would call it stiff but flexible. You can easily make a box out of it but it would fold up if any pressure were applied to it
 
17x5x17 acclimation box
 
i like the pvc pipe idea. going to go with that.
 
Made my own. Pretty close to 17x17x5. Acrylic sides and bottom, egg crate ends. Glued some screen top netting to the egg crate. Pretty easy, and cheap, to make and I like the hang down design.

B1DFC3B6-CF18-4AE6-9138-86ABBD45B1BA.png 1F5443FA-02D2-4862-90C4-2BB078769437.png
 
how did you glue the egg crate to the acrylic?
 
image.jpg

This is the simplest acclimation bottle in this case, that you could easily make. This is the 1 Lt version. I have a 2 Lt bottle version as well. The windows were cut out of the bottle with a heated exacto knife. The screens are from hobby Lobby, they got black, white and different colors. They also got white with squares larger than these but way smaller that eggcrate 1/2”. I learned this with a clown fish breeding friend. He introduces possible broodstock pairs this way.
 
I bought the biggest critter keeper from petsmart and made a bunch of holes in it with a sodering iron. I just ziptie it to the center braces to hold it in place.
 

Attachments

  • 20201226_214520.jpg
    20201226_214520.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 62
i ended up having something custom made. this thing turned out way nicer than i could have ever anticipated. i would have spent 1/2 of what it cost me to build this myself. rather just pay double and get it done way nicer and right.
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 89

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top