Orphek brand of diodes ?

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 10, 2016
Messages
2,192
Reaction score
1,501
Location
Sanford,Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some looking around browsing my options on supplemental strip lights,I came across a picture that looks like they use Epiled diodes in their flagship lights ? They look like the terribly cheap 50 cent ebay Epiled diodes,or am I wrong ?

Can anyone confirm this ? If this is true,for the price of their lights you would think they would use better spectrum,bin and more efficent diodes like Cree,Semi and Luxeon.

At least AI,Ecotech,Maxspect,Reef Breders (Photon) all use Cree and Semi.

I'm not trying to start a debating,ruffle feathers or be bashed,just asking a curious question.
 
It bears mentioning, if an led fixture brand does not disclose the specific diodes used, it is only reasonable to assume they use the absolute cheapest option available to them
 
It bears mentioning, if an led fixture brand does not disclose the specific diodes used, it is only reasonable to assume they use the absolute cheapest option available to them

I agree,but don't known if I should because it almost sounds like sarcasm but I could super wrong lol . But especially if a light is touching $1000,I feel like the diode brand should definitely should be advertised. It looks to be true from this video I found on YT of someome swapping the diodes.

 
I agree,but don't known if I should because it almost sounds like sarcasm but I could super wrong lol . But especially if a light is touching $1000,I feel like the diode brand should definitely should be advertised. It looks to be true from this video I found on YT of someome swapping the diodes.


Oh I was being complete serious. That being said. Orphek Atlantik tanks at the top end have been the best looking led tanks in my opinion. Bottom bin diodes or not
 
Oh I was being complete serious. That being said. Orphek Atlantik tanks at the top end have been the best looking led tanks in my opinion. Bottom bin diodes or not

Thats what I have been thinking. I habe been browsing online looking at reviews and I started thinking after seeing a few what diodes they use and was actually shocked when I started digging deeper and found a listing on eBay and saw what I did.

I'm half tempted to make my own supplemental strips with Luxeon C's,Viosys and Semi. But that being said it would cost just as much or a hair more and I'll have thay DIY I don't miss lol.
 
Oh I was being complete serious. That being said. Orphek Atlantik tanks at the top end have been the best looking led tanks in my opinion. Bottom bin diodes or not

I have been very happy with my Orpheks, I’m sure they are not high end diodes but does a great job coloring coral and providing the spectrum I’m looking for with Helius. Now with the fan update they did I’m even happier with the lights.

One thing I can’t put my finger on is I can run much higher PAR with Orphek than I could with my Stratons and not bleach coral. Maybe it’s the low end diodes, who knows.
 
Thats what I have been thinking. I habe been browsing online looking at reviews and I started thinking after seeing a few what diodes they use and was actually shocked when I started digging deeper and found a listing on eBay and saw what I did.

I'm half tempted to make my own supplemental strips with Luxeon C's,Viosys and Semi. But that being said it would cost just as much or a hair more and I'll have thay DIY I don't miss lol.
I remember you selling all your DIY stuff.

As to quality .. can't tell by looks and that Egg thing is just packaging.
The diodes themselves can be different manuf.. AFAICT.
And if not different manuf better bins.. hopefully..
A manuf run can produce all sorts of "quality of" diodes off the same line.
Ends up more mathematics than manufacture..

While ams Osram is making and selling its own LEDs, it is also possible that it is making them on an outsourced basis for other LED providers. LEDs Magazine has asked if this is the case. We are awaiting the company's response.
 
I don’t agree that not listing the brand means they use the cheapest rubbish - they might, might not. Pure speculation. Also there might be other variables such as binning that are not disclosed.

From orpheks website:



“For example, the Orphek aquarium led lighting DIF 100XP which does not use Cree LEDs, but uses our own proprietary 18K white diodes. Orphek LED Emitter have no model numbers; you cannot order these LEDs from a LED company for DIY projects.

Orphek uses several American LED companies to produce their diodes to their exact specifications.

We have never used cheap Chinese made diodes in any of our products.

With Orphek’s revolutionary technology we have designed the first white 18K LED that actually produces blue with no appreciable loss of lumens per watt.”


Are they telling the truth? No clue.
 
I remember you selling all your DIY stuff.

As to quality .. can't tell by looks and that Egg thing is just packaging.
The diodes themselves can be different manuf.. AFAICT.
And if not different manuf better bins.. hopefully..
A manuf run can produce all sorts of "quality of" diodes off the same line.
Ends up more mathematics than manufacture..


Yeah,I did. After years of DIY I iust wanted a plug and play option.

You do have a point,but after years and years of building lights myself those diodes do not look anything like the diodes I am used to seeing when I have taken lights apart or build lights.

Looking at AI Primes,Radions,NanoBox and other bigger names in the game you can clearly tell what diodes are which.

Them not naming any names or giving any info on binning,I can't help but speculate. Hence why I made the post to see if anyome knew. I read the same quote Hart just posted,but still leave a huge vague gray area to be determined.

Seeing the same cheap body,egged lense primarily associated with those so called cheap Epiled diodes you find on ebay for pennies on the dollar is not a good look to someone like myself. Not that my opinion matters to anyone on here or a huge light company but regardless its suspect lol.

If you are working with numerous US man's of diodes and using your own custom diode mixtures you'd think you'd have a custom sytle SMD diode or something of that nature.

Once again curiosity got the best of me with this one. I am not taking away from them they do make some good looking tanks and go coral,just looking to find a cleae cut answer for the sake of science :)
 
I don’t agree that not listing the brand means they use the cheapest rubbish - they might, might not. Pure speculation. Also there might be other variables such as binning that are not disclosed.

From orpheks website:



“For example, the Orphek aquarium led lighting DIF 100XP which does not use Cree LEDs, but uses our own proprietary 18K white diodes. Orphek LED Emitter have no model numbers; you cannot order these LEDs from a LED company for DIY projects.

Orphek uses several American LED companies to produce their diodes to their exact specifications.

We have never used cheap Chinese made diodes in any of our products.

With Orphek’s revolutionary technology we have designed the first white 18K LED that actually produces blue with no appreciable loss of lumens per watt.”


Are they telling the truth? No clue.
Not sure any core chips are manuf in the US anymore. Maybe cree..

According to Greg, Cree makes all of its chips and LEDs in Durham and most of its lighting products in Wisconsin, but also uses overseas contract manufacturers for portions of its product line.Mar 29, 2017
 
Yeah,I did. After years of DIY I iust wanted a plug and play option.

You do have a point,but after years and years of building lights myself those diodes do not look anything like the diodes I am used to seeing when I have taken lights apart or build lights.

Looking at AI Primes,Radions,NanoBox and other bigger names in the game you can clearly tell what diodes are which.

Them not naming any names or giving any info on binning,I can't help but speculate. Hence why I made the post to see if anyome knew. I read the same quote Hart just posted,but still leave a huge vague gray area to be determined.

Seeing the same cheap body,egged lense primarily associated with those so called cheap Epiled diodes you find on ebay for pennies on the dollar is not a good look to someone like myself. Not that my opinion matters to anyone on here or a huge light company but regardless its suspect lol.

If you are working with numerous US man's of diodes and using your own custom diode mixtures you'd think you'd have a custom sytle SMD diode or something of that nature.

Once again curiosity got the best of me with this one. I am not taking away from them they do make some good looking tanks and go coral,just looking to find a cleae cut answer for the sake of science :)
Completely understand..
When they used to sell fw Atlantiks.. well couldn't "recommend" them for that reason.

I wonder who makes these boards Orphek Amazonia since they can be customized..
Missing rows hint to a "standard" industrial board..


orphek-amazonas-XP-80-blue-LED.jpeg
 
Well... I actually happened to have taken pictures of the v4 and newest icon boards as I installed the upgrade kits so...

Icon
20210606_133655.jpg

20210606_133708.jpg


V4
20210606_133726.jpg
20210606_133716.jpg

Comparison
20210605_171121.jpg
20210605_171041.jpg
20210606_133448.jpg


I actually mostly did this to save time in doing the swap so I could compare the diodes used on each.

I've personally swapped 2 diodes on one of my old boards and 3 on the other over time with cheap Chazon brand 5w dual diode uv leds (the only leds I've had go out) and have seen absolutely no difference in the cheap leds and the originals.. Of course I'm not a spectrometer nor do I own one so take it as you will, visually I've seen absolutely no difference.

Fyi.. if you take a look at your boards when you figure out what diode happened to have failed (easy by simply jumping each diode), they're all labeled so it makes ordering the 5w replacements cake.
 
Well... I actually happened to have taken pictures of the v4 and newest icon boards as I installed the upgrade kits so...

Icon
20210606_133655.jpg

20210606_133708.jpg


V4
20210606_133726.jpg
20210606_133716.jpg

Comparison
20210605_171121.jpg
20210605_171041.jpg
20210606_133448.jpg


I actually mostly did this to save time in doing the swap so I could compare the diodes used on each.

I've personally swapped 2 diodes on one of my old boards and 3 on the other over time with cheap Chazon brand 5w dual diode uv leds (the only leds I've had go out) and have seen absolutely no difference in the cheap leds and the originals.. Of course I'm not a spectrometer nor do I own one so take it as you will, visually I've seen absolutely no difference.

Fyi.. if you take a look at your boards when you figure out what diode happened to have failed (easy by simply jumping each diode), they're all labeled so it makes ordering the 5w replacements cake.

Interesting. It would be great if @Orphek would care to chime in. @James Emory
 
Orphek good diodes called AliExpress best deal of the day.. Of course it's second best to Kazakistan diodes - which have highest potassium spectrum, but still quite impressive.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top