Outbreak of brown hair algae !!

HUGHSTON.MCMILLIAN

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 18, 2021
Messages
9
Reaction score
6
Location
kansas city
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my tank going for about 3 or 4 months, I bought my tank and livestock from a guy who had the tank going for a couple years. I put on some new ocean revive lights and about 2 or 3 weeks later I was noticing algae growing. Now 2 months later I can’t seem to get it under control. My nitrates and phosphate bottomed out and we’re both at 0. I turned my skimmer off to get my nitrate and phosphates up my current level of nitrate is 5 and phosphates are 0.1. Can someone give me some tips on what I should be doing? Thanks
336EB7F2-FDDE-45B6-A5B6-F71BA836AF3E.jpeg
image.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1360.MOV
    26.7 MB
I think you might have been getting a false negative with the algae still growing. Have you notice an increase in the growth after turning the skimmer off and the nitrates raising to 5ppm?
 
Your numbers are 0 because the algae is sucking it all up.

You need to Reduce nutrients, reduce feeding, drop your light cycle back and do manual removal.
 
I planned on pulling alot of the rock out and scrubbing it with a tooth brush this weekend, but what do i do to prevent the algae from coming back?
 
I planned on pulling alot of the rock out and scrubbing it with a tooth brush this weekend, but what do i do to prevent the algae from coming back?

As I said:

You need to Reduce nutrients, reduce feeding, drop your light cycle back and do manual removal.
 
As I said:

You need to Reduce nutrients, reduce feeding, drop your light cycle back and do manual removal.
I pulled all of my rock out this weekend and scrubbed all the algae off, I cut my light cycle down to 6 hours a day and turned down the whites.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top