Over-dipped and killed my new Red Dragon

wait..this is the first i'm hearing about this.

I got one of WWC's random Acro pack and they forgot to mention what was in the box...how do i know what is 'smooth' or not?

I noticed one of the corals had those white things coming out- perhaps due to the stress of shipping. Should i not dip that one in revive?
 
Any of the smooth skinned acros will do better in Bayer than in Coral Rx or Revive. They can survive in Revive if they are super healthy and have not just been shipped, but it really stresses them out.

The folks at POTO actually recommended that you let them sit in a separate QT for a day or two before dipping, then do a minimal dip.
 
I am racking my brain, but what is POTO? I am gonna feel stupid after you post it...

Bayer is perfectly safe for smoothies, you just cannot really see what is in the container.

Smoothies are your dragons, lokani, rosaria, granulosa, lorpies, carolinia, suharsonoa and I am sure that I am missing a bunch.
 
Same here. What or who is POTO?

Pieces of the Ocean I'd guess :-)

That's a bummer man, but thanks for the heads up. I am always a nervous wreck dipping corals. Never had any problems, but it just makes me anxious.
 
Jeez. You guys are using that low of a ratio with Bayer? FWIW I use somewhere around 1:10 with no ill effect to any coral. AEFW don't stand a chance lol
 
i feel your pain. I’ve dipped and lost acros to dipping.
 
So 2 days later finally got a chance to look at the mixture I use...

I had done lots of reading and eventually with lots of ranges in concentration.

Ultimately I settled on the concentration ration @Bulk Reef Supply did in FAQ#26.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/faq-26-using-bayer-as-a-coral-dip-what-recipe-do-we-use/

Summation - 400 ML to 2.5 Gal
I usually have about 1/2 gallon (3785 ML or 2 QT) in my dipping reservoir and I add 80 ML of Bayer.

Dipping containers Used -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006384LI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Easy to Clean, I have 4
1 for dip
1 for rinse
1 for sitting after rinse
1 spare for moving RO water or whatever.
was hesitant to buy at first, but would buy more in a heart beat.

I buy syringes bulk...1 ML, 5 ML, 10 ML, 100 packs for 10-15 bucks for all sorts of uses with the tank and when we cant find one of the kids meds syringes...lol...we use fresh ones for the kids.

Bayer Used - (had to have the wife send me the photo)
537462626.jpg
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Glad I read this. I just got a Hawkins and skipped the Revive, Bayer only, but didn't realize red dragons were sensitive too. I hadn't lumped them in with the other "smooth skinned" acros.
 
I have been using 7 oz Bayer into 80 oz tank water on Zoas/LPS for 15 minutes after Temp acclimate and remove from plugs. I then rinse them and re glue to new plugs and rinse in three more individual containers before going into coral/invert QT tank and havnt killed any of my inverts or CUC yet so feel pretty good about it.

Still a newbie to reef but has worked with no problems and have not seen (hope not blind) any hitchhikers after 8 months (except aptasia lol which dip isnt effective on of course)

So I use 5 heated containers in total **** 1 for temp acclimate - 1 for dip - 4 for rinse/swish****

Not currently brave enough to join SPS crowd lol
 
I have been using 7 oz Bayer into 80 oz tank water on Zoas/LPS for 15 minutes after Temp acclimate and remove from plugs. I then rinse them and re glue to new plugs and rinse in three more individual containers before going into coral/invert QT tank and havnt killed any of my inverts or CUC yet so feel pretty good about it.

Still a newbie to reef but has worked with no problems and have not seen (hope not blind) any hitchhikers after 8 months (except aptasia lol which dip isnt effective on of course)

So I use 5 heated containers in total **** 1 for temp acclimate - 1 for dip - 4 for rinse/swish****

Not currently brave enough to join SPS crowd lol

your better than me, I dont head the containers, I just mix the dip...dip, then before I got to rinse I fill the other 2 containers with thank water. There is definitely a temp drop but haven't had any issues.
 
your better than me, I dont head the containers, I just mix the dip...dip, then before I got to rinse I fill the other 2 containers with thank water. There is definitely a temp drop but haven't had any issues.
Chuckle... I tend to over-complicate things I am finding in this Hobby so far
 
I after acclimating them all to the temp by dipping the bags into the sump for 45 mintutes, I then opened all the bags in one container and used a slow drip line to acclimate with tank water for 30 minutes. Then I moved to my bayer setup. I used 10ml bayer per 1/2 cup of saltwater. I used a 1/3 tank water to 2/3 fresh saltwater mix. I dipped ranging from 5 to 10 minutes and did them all at once. As I pulled them from the bayer dip I used a turkey baster to rinse the bayer solution off of them before setting them in a container of half tank water to half fresh saltwater. then some bastering again to knock anything off of them before putting them in the tank. That was yesterday. Today the 24 corals including the red dragon still has great colors. First time doing a dip and it seems to have worked. There were some things at the bottom of the bayers container when I emptied it down the drain. So it knocked something off.
 
You all are better than I am. I just glug in some Bayer until it gets milky looking - I am probably 1/4 cup in 32oz of tankwater...give or take 10%. I do put the Bayer bottle in a baggie and float it in the tank first since there is enough volume to drop the temp in the dipping container.

I use CoralRx on the non-smoothies since I like to be able to see what comes off of them - this is not impossible with the Bayer, but harder. I do a bayer dip after the CoralRx on these ones.

Maybe it is just the guys that I have gotten stuff from, but I have seen more AEFW on valida, tenius, stags, austera, true torts and the other non-smoothies that I ever have on smooth skinned acropora. Maybe these folks are just not good with the smoothies in their tanks and this is a skewed sample size.
 
I to have done this. Also with revive! I placed it in the system and left the piece in the system and eventually it came back. Color is different but it did come back. If the system is kept stable and no other accidents it has a change.
 
My smoothie got nuked in Coral RX as well. Most of the skin came off in the first day. It is very slowly coming back on about 25% of the frag so far.
 
Did the same thing. I got a nice frag of Red Dragon and dipped it in Revive. I noticed that the Revive had a funny smell after dipping. That frag was pure white by the next morning.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top