Paid of saddlebacks, not doing good

  • Thread starter Thread starter 125mph
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

125mph

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2016
Messages
665
Reaction score
263
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a pair of saddleback clownfish yesterday from Live Aquaria. Packaging was bad, leaking everywhere.

I’ve quarantined many fish this year and thiught clownfish would be easy.

Neither ate yesterday and today saw the big one breathing heavily on his side. An hour later he was dead. Smaller one not eating and breathing heavy but swimming straight.

Their white color has redIsh brown which appears wierd. I do see some white stuff on them which makes me think brook.

Does this look like anything? See how he is redish brown like he is bruised.

IMG_7882.jpeg
 
Just got a pair of saddleback clownfish yesterday from Live Aquaria. Packaging was bad, leaking everywhere.

I’ve quarantined many fish this year and thiught clownfish would be easy.

Neither ate yesterday and today saw the big one breathing heavily on his side. An hour later he was dead. Smaller one not eating and breathing heavy but swimming straight.

Their white color has redIsh brown which appears wierd. I do see some white stuff on them which makes me think brook.

Does this look like anything? See how he is redish brown like he is bruised.

IMG_7882.jpeg
Were these guys fighting? Tail shows possible aggression and body, possible bites. This is not confirmed but rather suspicions as its hard to tell cause with a dead carcass.
Lack of oxygen from poor packing also a suspect cause.
Did you acclimate and how and how long?
 
This guy is 4" and the smaller one is about 2.5"... They were not fighting.

The box was badly packed and leaking. Did my standard acclimation.. Temperature acclimate with bag over tank and then salinity match. About 45 minutes.
 
This guy is 4" and the smaller one is about 2.5"... They were not fighting.

The box was badly packed and leaking. Did my standard acclimation.. Temperature acclimate with bag over tank and then salinity match. About 45 minutes.

How far off was the salinity before you began acclimation?

Do you know the source/history of these fish? Large saddleback clowns often come from Sri Lanka and are notoriously delicate. In fact, except in special cases, I don't buy ANY wild caught clownfish any longer due to the poor survivorship.

How were they shipped to you, air cargo or overnight? Given the leaking bags, my guess is that the box was mishandled, and what you are seeing is a combination of their being large, wild caught clowns and shipping damage....sorry.

Jay
 
Shipping salinity was 1.019 and I set up QT for 1.021 so not too far off. The small one is not looking good either. Hasnt eaten and breathing heavy as well. The skin looks like white stuff on it but its not like ich or velvet. Any ideas what this could be? See video below. I think this guy has maybe a day or two left in him.

Is this brook?

 
Last edited:
Can i dose ruby reef rally directly i to the current qtfor 90 min bath and then-transfer to newqt?
 
Shipping salinity was 1.019 and I set up QT for 1.021 so not too far off. The small one is not looking good either. Hasnt eaten and breathing heavy as well. The skin looks like white stuff on it but its not like ich or velvet. Any ideas what this could be? See video below. I think this guy has maybe a day or two left in him.

Is this brook?



That does look like Brooklynella. Formalin is the best treatment when it is advanced like this, but it is tough to source and is pretty toxic to use in a home.

I think you can do the 90 minute Ruby Reef dip, then move to a new QT, and then start the static bath dose there.
 
Couldnt get my hands on ruby reef rally.. I ended up with Rid Ich Plus, which has 11% formalin... doing a 60 minute bath right now.

Going to order ruby reef rally.
 
Did the Rid Ich Plus for an hour.. put him in a fresh QT.. Still breathing rapidly.. I threw in some Metroplex as well.

Why did the white on him turn red/brown like the large one?

 
Did the Rid Ich Plus for an hour.. put him in a fresh QT.. Still breathing rapidly.. I threw in some Metroplex as well.

Why did the white on him turn red/brown like the large one?

Rid Ich plus has malachite green in it. That makes it risky to use as a high dose dip.
 
So used the rid ich plus and put him in a new qt with metroplex. By night time he was laying on his side and rapid breathing, i thought he was going to be dead in an hour. His white turned redish brown like an infection.

Woke up today and he looks better, swimming more but still rapid breathing.

5 minutes later i saw 3 white things the size , one looks like a really long poop and other two abiut ten size if two rice grains. what the heck is this?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7904.jpeg
    IMG_7904.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7902.jpeg
    IMG_7902.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 23
So used the rid ich plus and put him in a new qt with metroplex. By night time he was laying on his side and rapid breathing, i thought he was going to be dead in an hour. His white turned redish brown like an infection.

Woke up today and he looks better, swimming more but still rapid breathing.

5 minutes later i saw 3 white things the size , one looks like a really long poop and other two abiut ten size if two rice grains. what the heck is this?
Sorry - I do know what that is. They look clear in the photo?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top