Painting kitchen cabinets turned my water cloudy.

Well the preventative measures are useless right now guys.

The OP , like many mentioned already, do a big WC
 
How did this turn out?

We’re getting ready to have our kitchen cabinets painted and concerned about the VOCs. The paint is oil based and the smell is supposed to be so bad we’ll need to stay out of the house for 4 days…

Has anyone else dealt with this? Any recommendations? Good tip about turning off the skimmer
 
Everything is fine in my system, I have not done an ICP test so no elevated levels of contamination that I know about.

I would get fresh for the skimmer from running a tube from outside to the air intake for the skimmer. My best guess is that 95% or more of the paint got in through the air intake of the skimmer.
I don’t believe the smell of the painting caused any problems, I believe it was particles of paint that were in the air got drawn into the air intake.

You may even be able to get by with just turning off the scammers while they are painting in a few hours after they’re done.
 
How did this turn out?

We’re getting ready to have our kitchen cabinets painted and concerned about the VOCs. The paint is oil based and the smell is supposed to be so bad we’ll need to stay out of the house for 4 days…

Has anyone else dealt with this? Any recommendations? Good tip about turning off the skimmer
Is there Any Way you can seal off the tank in question, in a different room completely? Any chance to change so low VOC paints?

I would be hooking up box fans on in wide open windows, pulling clean air through the kitchen after, and exhausting it away from the tank.

As stated above, skimmer should not be drawing the inside air into the tank. Same with any air pump.
 
Everything is fine in my system, I have not done an ICP test so no elevated levels of contamination that I know about.

I would get fresh for the skimmer from running a tube from outside to the air intake for the skimmer. My best guess is that 95% or more of the paint got in through the air intake of the skimmer.
I don’t believe the smell of the painting caused any problems, I believe it was particles of paint that were in the air got drawn into the air intake.

You may even be able to get by with just turning off the scammers while they are painting in a few hours after they’re done.
I hope all your animals are not affected in any way. Sorry this happened to you.
 
Is there Any Way you can seal off the tank in question, in a different room completely? Any chance to change so low VOC paints?

I would be hooking up box fans on in wide open windows, pulling clean air through the kitchen after, and exhausting it away from the tank.

As stated above, skimmer should not be drawing the inside air into the tank. Same with any air pump.

can’t seal it off in another room. The tank is literally adjacent to the kitchen in an open living room area.

I can seal it off with plastic sheeting, although not sure what the effect on gas exchange and evaporation will be.

will think about how to use fans to circulate the air as much as possible
 
can’t seal it off in another room. The tank is literally adjacent to the kitchen in an open living room area.

I can seal it off with plastic sheeting, although not sure what the effect on gas exchange and evaporation will be.

will think about how to use fans to circulate the air as much as possible
You don't want to circulate it. You want to draw only fresh air across it.
 
can’t seal it off in another room. The tank is literally adjacent to the kitchen in an open living room area.

I can seal it off with plastic sheeting, although not sure what the effect on gas exchange and evaporation will be.

will think about how to use fans to circulate the air as much as possible
I personally, would not let them paint my cabinets with any paint that you need to be out of the house for.

I just had my full kitchen done last year. They can get paint in many formulations. California doesn't allow any oil based and we still get ours painted.

I would put the kabosh on it until you can get the tank figured out to be safe.
 
Thanks.

I’m considering that as an option but based on the research I’ve done, oil based is far superior to water or latex based, which seem to have durability and quality issues. And it seems you can’t paint cabinets with water/latex based paint over oil based painted cabinets, which mine are.

painting kitchen cabinets is fairly common and hoping someone has some experience with this so that I can learn and weigh the risk and take the necessary precautions.
 
Thanks.

I’m considering that as an option but based on the research I’ve done, oil based is far superior to water or latex based, which seem to have durability and quality issues. And it seems you can’t paint cabinets with water/latex based paint over oil based painted cabinets, which mine are.

painting kitchen cabinets is fairly common and hoping someone has some experience with this so that I can learn and weigh the risk and take the necessary precautions.
I'm not a paint pro.

But I would lean on the paint pros to fix the problem at hand, and that is they want the job, and need to do it, in a way you can sleep in the house that night.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top