Palys, Palytoxins, and The Reef

Cyanohater

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 10, 2022
Messages
291
Reaction score
194
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I'm gonna start this off by saying I already have a zoa garden. So what is going on is I found a really pretty palythoa on topshelf aquatics for a good price. I want to add it to my reef tank but I'm concerned about the dangers of palytoxins. I've seen some have it in their aquarium and it even bother their other corals. Of course everyone in the hobby already knows of boiling the rocks not doing that etc etc. What do you guys think about this. Will it bother my other corals? Would it be a good idea to add palythoas? Would I and others be safe?
 
@Cyanohater just my opinion, but I think the palytoxin issue is overblown. In terms of your own health, I think it’s a lot of common sense … mostly just washing your hands etc before and after you put them in the tank (don’t rub your eyes, etc). Others wear glasses or gloves as well. Check out Tidal Garden. I think the owner did a video on palythoas and discusses palytoxin
Grew up in a reef shop.... I remember the sw shipments coming in (I was probably 7-8) and breaking the big zoa rocks into 3-4 smaller pieces by hand or flathead and hammer. I turned out alright-ish (Probably lol).
 
Upvote 0

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top