Peacock blenny (Salaria pavo) breeding journal

Update! Now in 2024 the broodstock is spawning again. I also got another (smaller) female.
I have a large B. plicatilis rotifer culture, with at least two copepod species present in it. There are also some small round things, probably didinium or ciliates, wich are smaller than the rotifers. Their density is quite low, so I don't know if they will make much of an impact as a first food.
I also got some phytoplankton, though unfortunately the species wasn't mentioned on the packaging.
Right now I'm feeding the rotifers with spirulina and some live phyto.
Any tips?

I will post an update when the fry hatch.
 

Attachments

  • 20240531_213502.jpg
    20240531_213502.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 70
Update!
I now have a few dozen fry in a rotifer + copepod culture under natural sunlight and day-night cycle. Their stomachs look quite plump, so I do think they are eating.
I need to get some brine shrimp hatched for when the copepods start to deplete...
And I also found a paper from the 80s with some very useful information for rearing this species.
I will share any updates on their growth and whatever interesting things I observe
:))
 
It seems that with a natural day-night cycle, the fry go into a sleep-like behavior during the night. They drift passively in the current and don't seem to swim much or feed at all.
The next day they resume normal activity when the sun is shining.
This will probably slow down their growth rate, deviating for the standard, light on 24/7, method of most scientific studies.
Further observation is needed.
 
I now have two different batches of fry. Viewed side by side, I can see that the older ones are about 50% larger than the youngest, so it's confirmed that they are growing in these conditions. I also set up the brineshrimp hatchery.
Fingers crossed
 
Update!
I have around a dozen fry left and they've grown a lot.
The largest one is now a little bigger than a newborn molly fry and it has fully developed fins and tail, also with some pigment developing at the top of the head. The mouth is now situated lower on the face, like the adults.
It looks like a miniature adult blenny but mostly transparent. It hasn't settled yet, it's still as pelagic as the younger ones.
I didn't get BBS yet, but they seem to be doing fine with copepods.
I'll update you again when the first one settles.
 
Here's some footage of them!
They are more visible when viewed from the side, but the camera can't focus trough the plastic tub.
1
2
 
Finally, success!
The first blenny has settled. It's foraging on the bottom and behaving like the adults, but will take to the water column for a few minutes if startled. The fry have copepods and A LOT of BBS,so hopefully they will grow well :))
 

Attachments

  • 20240628_201005.jpg
    20240628_201005.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 45
Finally, success!
The first blenny has settled. It's foraging on the bottom and behaving like the adults, but will take to the water column for a few minutes if startled. The fry have copepods and A LOT of BBS,so hopefully they will grow well :))
Did they grow? also do you still have the adults i am also from Romania and i caught a femele
 
Did they grow? also do you still have the adults i am also from Romania and i caught a femele
Unfortunately when I went on vacation a few of the fry starved, but there is at least one still alive and eating a lot of copepods, BBS and tiny bits of frozen food.

Dacă vrei să prinzi mascul uită-te printre pietre şi stavilopozi. În perioada asta cred că încă mai cuibăresc şi poți prinde masculii morți de foame foarte uşor la fir ținut în mână cu cârlig mic şi crevete/midie ca momeală.
 
Unfortunately when I went on vacation a few of the fry starved, but there is at least one still alive and eating a lot of copepods, BBS and tiny bits of frozen food.

Dacă vrei să prinzi mascul uită-te printre pietre şi stavilopozi. În perioada asta cred că încă mai cuibăresc şi poți prinde masculii morți de foame foarte uşor la fir ținut în mână cu cârlig mic şi crevete/midie ca momeală.
Even one survivor would be huge. For me, with a lot of species on both the freshwater and saltwater side of the hobby, getting the first batch of fry to make it is the hardest. The good news in your case is you have frequent chances at small spawns to work with.

I will be following as I haven't heard about these bennies in years.
 
Unfortunately when I went on vacation a few of the fry starved, but there is at least one still alive and eating a lot of copepods, BBS and tiny bits of frozen food.

Dacă vrei să prinzi mascul uită-te printre pietre şi stavilopozi. În perioada asta cred că încă mai cuibăresc şi poți prinde masculii morți de foame foarte uşor la fir ținut în mână cu cârlig mic şi crevete/midie ca momeală.
This is the femele i cought , can you show me a picture of the male?

I am dat drumul fiindca am ich momentan dupa ce tratez si las acvariul 100 zile fara pesti la anu cred ca bag o pereche , am prins o pe insula in mangalia
 

Attachments

  • d05266d4-dfdd-4ca5-9086-acb5bcf1ae53.jpeg
    d05266d4-dfdd-4ca5-9086-acb5bcf1ae53.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 74885811-bf80-466b-847d-d9ad1ff9440e.jpeg
    74885811-bf80-466b-847d-d9ad1ff9440e.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 23
This is the femele i cought , can you show me a picture of the male?

I am dat drumul fiindca am ich momentan dupa ce tratez si las acvariul 100 zile fara pesti la anu cred ca bag o pereche , am prins o pe insula in mangalia
Pe insula mare de după Portul Mangalia am văzut nişte blenny de ăştia foarte mari şi grăsuți. Ar fi bine de acolo să iei dacă poți. Eu am din Venus şi femela pare să aibă paraziți intestinali.
 

Attachments

  • 20240812_003405.jpg
    20240812_003405.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240812_003421.jpg
    20240812_003421.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20240811_223111_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240811_223111_Maps.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 26
Pe insula mare de după Portul Mangalia am văzut nişte blenny de ăştia foarte mari şi grăsuți. Ar fi bine de acolo să iei dacă poți. Eu am din Venus şi femela pare să aibă paraziți intestinali.
Da de pe insula ii iau, am vazut si eu mai mari, oricum o sa ii carantinez inainte, stii ce toleranta la cupru au? De asemenea, o sa ii bag intr-un bare bottom tank. Ai experienta necesita nisip sau ceva mai special?
 
Da de pe insula ii iau, am vazut si eu mai mari, oricum o sa ii carantinez inainte, stii ce toleranta la cupru au? De asemenea, o sa ii bag intr-un bare bottom tank. Ai experienta necesita nisip sau ceva mai special?
Nu am încercat cupru la ei, şi de nisip n-au nevoie în mod special. Ai grijă să fie cât mai multe locuri de ascuns, *** ar fi găuri printre pietre şi rapane sparte, altfel devin mai teritoriali unii cu alții. Cât timp au burta plină sunt foarte docili. Când începe o femelă să depună ouă constant o să fie agesivă față de alte femele, nu cred că ai ce să-i faci.
De câte ori pe zi i-ai putea hrăni?
 
Nu am încercat cupru la ei, şi de nisip n-au nevoie în mod special. Ai grijă să fie cât mai multe locuri de ascuns, *** ar fi găuri printre pietre şi rapane sparte, altfel devin mai teritoriali unii cu alții. Cât timp au burta plină sunt foarte docili. Când începe o femelă să depună ouă constant o să fie agesivă față de alte femele, nu cred că ai ce să-i faci.
De câte ori pe zi i-ai putea hrăni?
o data pe zi in acvariu marin cu corali, ziceam de cupru fiindca am avut ich si sunt foarte preventiv acum
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top