Peroxide: Will it really kill Hair Algae and have you used it?

Have you ever used Peroxide to kill hair algae?

  • Yes and it worked

    Votes: 229 35.6%
  • Yes but it didn't work

    Votes: 50 7.8%
  • No never tried it

    Votes: 364 56.6%

  • Total voters
    643
Dipped frags with GHA with H2O2...worked like a champ. Bit hard on the Zoas but all but 2 of the 10 recovered, and not 100% sure that was due to the dipping.
 
35% yes it worked to 7% it didn’t so far results, can someone please email this thread to TMZ at reefcentral he will happily want to see it (we can’t post it there, so if you know him, email him for me pls/care of brandon429)
 
I have GHA in my sump and it’s growing over my paddle Caulerpa. My display is clean and it’s easy to keep my sump clean but keeping it off the Caulerpa is difficult.

Will peroxide kill Caulerpa if I dose peroxide to my sump?
 
I have used as a dip for frags to kill hair and turf algae but never dosed the tank. Dipping it worked. I dipped the my zoa frags into it and killed the algae almost instantly. Full disclosure and im not sure why but i dipped 5 zoa frags and 4 were prefectly fine but the 5th fruit loop zoa frag about half the zoa's died on the frag but the other half opened up bigger and better than every before so....
 
I have GHA in my sump and it’s growing over my paddle Caulerpa. My display is clean and it’s easy to keep my sump clean but keeping it off the Caulerpa is difficult.

Will peroxide kill Caulerpa if I dose peroxide to my sump?
I have nuisance caulerpa in a few spots on my rocks, I've blasted it with pure h2o3 with no effect at all. Doesn't even slow down.
 
I have nuisance caulerpa in a few spots on my rocks, I've blasted it with pure h2o3 with no effect at all. Doesn't even slow down.
Good to know. Perhaps I should remove a small amount of Caulerpa with attached gha and treat it separately and see what happens..
 
Yes at 1-2ml/10 gallons & worked well with no ill effects that I could tell. Also dip softie & lps frags at 5:1 (water:H2O2) for ~5-10 min to kill hair algae. I do not use on sps frags.
 
We have a 4 tank system in the farm room and 2 of the tanks had bryopsis in them. It was covering up SPS, LPS and zoas/palys in a pretty bad way. In one tank we introduced a desjardini sailfin tang. Within a couple of weeks we noticed that all of the bryopsis was gone.

The other tank still has bryopsis so we decided to do a 3% peroxide dip on a rack of zoas and palys before returning the rack to the tank. 24 hrs later, the remaining algae had turned white and it appears to have died off. Two days ago we moved a rack of SPS over to the tank with the desjardini sailfin tang to see what he would do for us.

When I return to the office on Monday we will post an update to the thread and how the Sailfin tang is coming along.

Also, Vibrant is a great product and we have many happy customers that use this product and we will give that a go on our next attempt to rid the other racks of bryopsis. https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/shop-by-brand/underwater-creations.html
 
I have had what looked to be bryopsis on Trochus snails before when they came in from vendors and I carefully hold them upside down so shell only soaks in peroxide for few minutes roughly every three days and cleared them all up never came back in every case so yep it can...and no snail fatality to this point...just be very carefull and dont drop them in..chuckle ;)

Have used on Zoas and some types it torques off more than others and found one or two didnt respond well but always cleans up the frags nice over couple days following dip and most zoas pop out just fine. Helps your snails and cuc catch up and get on top of the curve occasionally
 
To the OP Yes, and Yes. I have blabbered at great length about the presence of H2O2 in seawater especially on reef systems, and the cycle of radical chemistry found in "living" symbiotic environments. I dose everyday , and have so for many many many years, alot longer than the fads come and go and its never failed me once.
 
It worked. Used 1 ml of 3% per 10 gallons once in the morning and again before retiring at night. Zoas will close for 30 minutes, other than that no long term harm. My understanding is Hydrogen Peroxide is very unstable and quickly dissipates after dosing. If you notice any issues, just stop dosing. They Hydrogen Peroxide will be out of the system in a few hours.
 
I've been dosing 1ml per 10 gals for the last couple days, at night when the lights are out. I've got turf algae in some areas, and some red cyano.

Can't say it's working just yet. The only impact i see is all my zoas immediately close up, and then reopen about 30 mins later. So I'm going to keep at it, and then switch back to vibrant when i see some results.
All I ever seen by dosing to tank did absolutely nothing even at twice that dose other than zoa closed up.
 
I started dipping my zoas in straight 3% peroxide for 2 mins and then rinsing them in tank water. I have had no casualties and clean, algae free frags and plugs.
For the entire tank, I dose vibrant at 1ml per 10G after my weekly water change. Tank is only 4 months old but I was able to battle cyano and some various hair and turf algae successfully.
 
I run a sochting oxydator to help oxygenate tank. I do notice that algae grows more once it is empty than when it isn’t. Also have to clean glass more when empty.

Best short-term fix I’ve used for hair algae is fluconazole pills. The hair algae turns white then dies or get eaten by cleaners. It will come back though if you have not resolved the root issue.
 
I have used it many times and at one point when I was at my witts end. I decided to try to try the 3% and nothing happened when I dosed it I didn't notice anything so I figured I would order the food grade 12% h2o2 and started dosing it 1ml per 10 gallons and was amazed at the results. My tank was a mixed reef w/lots of bubble tip nems and every time I dosed my nems loved it and would blow up massive. I dosed that tank for several months and I have to say it was the best thing I have dosed my tank. To me it actually seemed to help my rock clear up all the turf algae and coraline algae explode. I have no fear at all in it and all I experiences with h2o2 is nothing but positive. Don't waste money on otc h2o2 though order 12% food grade.
Been doing 3% for a while, but interested in trying 12%. Anyone else do 12%?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top