Pest in calcified tube ID please

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2021
Messages
47
Reaction score
9
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I just got two frags and was wondering if there's any risk transferring them to my display tank.

The 1st one is a montipora frag with a big calcified tube in it. I suspect it's a vermetid snail. Whatever it is, it's clearly bothering the coral.

PXL_20220430_233305201.jpg




The 2nd zoa frag has some algae on it. Is it green hair algae and will my tang take care of it? Would it be okay if I dip it in H2O2 to kill them beforehand?
PXL_20220430_233426019.jpg


Thank you!
 
Hi guys, I just got two frags and was wondering if there's any risk transferring them to my display tank.

The 1st one is a montipora frag with a big calcified tube in it. I suspect it's a vermetid snail. Whatever it is, it's clearly bothering the coral.

PXL_20220430_233305201.jpg




The 2nd zoa frag has some algae on it. Is it green hair algae and will my tang take care of it? Would it be okay if I dip it in H2O2 to kill them beforehand?
PXL_20220430_233426019.jpg


Thank you!
Vermetid snail. Must be removed and best method is generally to break off tube at the base. Because of the location, risky without damage to the coral
Option is to apply a dab of gel superglue from the dollar store and apply into/over the opening and it will starve- then you can safely break the tube off
 
Vermetid snail. Must be removed and best method is generally to break off tube at the base. Because of the location, risky without damage to the coral
Option is to apply a dab of gel superglue from the dollar store and apply into/over the opening and it will starve- then you can safely break the tube off
Thanks a lot for the info! Can I just apply the superglue and let it die inside the tube without actually removing the tube?
 
Thanks a lot for the info! Can I just apply the superglue and let it die inside the tube without actually removing the tube?
Yes you can
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top