Ph levels: Off set cycle on display and frag tank.

SpSDrew

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2019
Messages
794
Reaction score
1,247
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 90 gallon display linked to a 65 gallon frag tank. They run at almost identical cycles (aside from ramp up/down from 1200-2100) time. I am wondering if off setting the light cycles of the tanks and running my frag tank from 0500-1400 would help to narrow the range of my pH. I use a CO2 scrubber where you see on 09APR where the media was changed out. Usually 1.5lbs will last well over a week before it starts to fall again. Just trying to prevent as many dips but not raise the pH higher than a ~ 8.4 average.

1650040233082.png
 
offsetting the cycles will minimize the pH swing, as will more aeration.

Whether that has a positive effect on anything is a different question. You may possibly get slower hard coral growth if you bring down the high pH end of that cycle.

If you try it, let us know if you observe any change in the creatures.
 
Thinking of doing this, wondering if people have any long term tests, did they see better growth. Does the PH hit a peak and stop? assuming more alk consumption with higher ph. Would like to know some feedback.
 
Thinking of doing this, wondering if people have any long term tests, did they see better growth. Does the PH hit a peak and stop? assuming more alk consumption with higher ph. Would like to know some feedback.
Certain hard corals certainly grow faster at higher pH. But fir the reasons I suggested the pH may not be higher by connecting two off cycle aquaria.
 
Certain hard corals certainly grow faster at higher pH. But fir the reasons I suggested the pH may not be higher by connecting two off cycle aquaria.
Well I want to battle mainly the drop overnight.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top