Planning on an upgrade...need some insight/opinions

Merlin79

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2017
Messages
26
Reaction score
8
Location
Canada
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 15g and want to upgrade to 25g.

I'm either going to:

Buy a rimless cube w/ stand and run it with my new hob

Or get the IM aio(this is significantly more expensive and may not be an option)

I currently run my tank with just an hob.

Is there any way of hiding the heater? Are there false walls, overflow boxes that can do this?

The other idea is putting the heater in my filter?

Any other ideas?
 
I got innovative marine 20 gl nuno fusion i have a cobalt neo therm 75 wtts in the return pump zone nom problem working good
 
What HOB filter is it? Is it tall enough for your heater to be fully submerged?

If it's an Aquaclear, InTank makes media baskets with a small compartment for a heater.
 
It's a seachem tidal.

I have to check to see if a heater fits.
I have a jagger (no way will it fit. Lol) but I also have an aqueon pro.
 
I would suggest you get the cube with stand and install a sump. You can have even better filtration, more water volume to dilute toxins, and evaporation will have a slightly lower impact on salinity. You can also add top off water down there instead of picking a bucket all the way up to the main tank
 
I'd love to do a sump but there isn't the room for it.

If I had a house I'd do a sump but being in an apartment, I am very concerned with doing a
Sump
 
If you're already planing to get a stand just make sure it has an open area under the tank. For that size tank the sump doesn't need to be huge. You could have everything contained inside the stand and nobody would be the wiser.
 
My concern is leaking pipes and overflowing.
 
Overflowing shouldn't happen, but you could put a piece of thin rubber like a pond liner under everything inside the stand just I'm case you got a leak.
 
Overflowing shouldn't be a problem if you plan for drainage.
To the original question: Before I had a sump, I put my heater and filter in my tank then aquascaped around it. For an overflow style, you could always DIY one.
 
How does the overflow work? Do you have any links.

DIY is an option.

Not new to reefs but I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable on overflows and sumps.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top