Planted Tank Supplements in Saltwater (Seachem)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hermie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2018
Messages
2,444
Reaction score
2,621
Location
Georgia OTP
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a bunch of FW Seachem supplements leftover that I don't use, but I was wondering if any of these "ingredients" would be helpful for Macroalgae (ie: there might be something limited in my system and adding this would most likely help the algae).
Thanks!!

  1. (Fe) Ferrous Gluconate (Flourish Iron)
  2. (N) and (K2O) Potassium Nitrate, or urea (Flourish Nitrogen)
  3. (P2O5) Potassium phosphate (Flourish Phosphorus) and (K2O)
  4. (K2O) Potassium sulfate (Flourish Potassium)
 
I used the iron one left over on my salt water reef. I put like 2 caps full in 600 gallons of water. It killed my yellow tang and caused stress on several other fish. It also turned my water tea color
So I wouldn’t use them.
 
Hi, I have a bunch of FW Seachem supplements leftover that I don't use, but I was wondering if any of these "ingredients" would be helpful for Macroalgae (ie: there might be something limited in my system and adding this would most likely help the algae).
Thanks!!

  1. (Fe) Ferrous Gluconate (Flourish Iron)
  2. (N) and (K2O) Potassium Nitrate, or urea (Flourish Nitrogen)
  3. (P2O5) Potassium phosphate (Flourish Phosphorus) and (K2O)
  4. (K2O) Potassium sulfate (Flourish Potassium)
I don't know about the liquid supplements, but I use Potassium Nitrate (leftover from planted tanks) in powder form as an occasional supplement to raise nitrates.
 
I don't know about the liquid supplements, but I use Potassium Nitrate (leftover from planted tanks) in powder form as an occasional supplement to raise nitrates.

do you think the potassium can hurt the corals?
 
do you think the potassium can hurt the corals?

Seawater has a lot of potassium in it already. The boost will be small unless you use a lot of it.

These are all probably OK, but my main concern is how pure these are, which is more of a concern in seawater than fresh.

I'm not a fan of dosing urea as you cannot measure it.

Also, be careful as the ingredients are not what you list. K2O is a unit of measure of potassium, not an actual chemical that would be there (which, if so, would be a very high pH alkalinity supplement). Same for P2O5. it is definitely not present in the additive.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top