Please help diagnose? White film over fish eye?

SKS1177

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2023
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

I'm sort of newer to keeping fish and we have some goldfish that are about 6 years old.

They are eating fine and acting totally normal other than the one has this film over the eye

Never had any issues before and they've always seemed healthy. I thought I had noticed some very minor cloudiness in the ones' eye about a week ago so I did some water changes and things seemed to go away.

I had thought afterwards maybe it was just in my head until yesterday I noticed the eye was a touch bubbled out and a lot more cloudy than I noticed a few days ago.

I did a quick water change and added a low dose of pure sodium chloride to the water last night and the eye does "seem" to be a bit smaller today and the film seems to have almost flattened to the eye instead of being bubbled out. Hard to see in the photos but the eyes do look almost the exact same size

Any suggestions?

20230814_134951.jpg 20230814_134919.jpg 20230814_134833.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone

I'm sort of newer to keeping fish and we have some goldfish that are about 6 years old.

They are eating fine and acting totally normal other than the one has this film over the eye

Never had any issues before and they've always seemed healthy. I thought I had noticed some very minor cloudiness in the ones' eye about a week ago so I did some water changes and things seemed to go away.

I had thought afterwards maybe it was just in my head until yesterday I noticed the eye was a touch bubbled out and a lot more cloudy than I noticed a few days ago.

I did a quick water change and added a low dose of pure sodium chloride to the water last night and the eye does "seem" to be a bit smaller today and the film seems to have almost flattened to the eye instead of being bubbled out. Hard to see in the photos but the eyes do look almost the exact same size

Any suggestions?

20230814_134951.jpg 20230814_134919.jpg 20230814_134833.jpg
Looks to be a superficial eye injury and not sure if there's anything to heal from damage however you want to treat with nitrofurazone and even maracyn by Fritz - Not maracyn-oxy for at least 5 days
 
Looks to be a superficial eye injury and not sure if there's anything to heal from damage however you want to treat with nitrofurazone and even maracyn by Fritz - Not maracyn-oxy for at least 5 days
Thank you very much for the quick response. I am in Canada and it is very difficult to find these items without having them cross the border and praying they pass through. I dont mind doing that but my concern is the length of time it may take for either of these products to get here. I did notice, however, that maracyn by fritz the base ingredient is erythromycin

We do have a 7 month old baby and we were given a tube of erythromycin a few months ago that was never needed (its brand new). I am wondering if this would be ok to use in place of the maracyn? It is an ointment almost like vaseline. Should this work or be safe to apply to the fish's eye?
 

Attachments

  • 20230814_143927.jpg
    20230814_143927.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 46
Thank you very much for the quick response. I am in Canada and it is very difficult to find these items without having them cross the border and praying they pass through. I dont mind doing that but my concern is the length of time it may take for either of these products to get here. I did notice, however, that maracyn by fritz the base ingredient is erythromycin

We do have a 7 month old baby and we were given a tube of erythromycin a few months ago that was never needed (its brand new). I am wondering if this would be ok to use in place of the maracyn? It is an ointment almost like vaseline. Should this work or be safe to apply to the fish's eye?
Maracyn IS ethromyacin and therefore CAN be used.
 
Maracyn IS ethromyacin and therefore CAN be used.
Thank you so much!

Do I simply wipe it onto the eye? Any tips?

Also, just want to be clear, I should be doing this once a day for 5x days? Or how many times per day would you recommend?

Thank you
 
Thank you so much!

Do I simply wipe it onto the eye? Any tips?

Also, just want to be clear, I should be doing this once a day for 5x days? Or how many times per day would you recommend?

Thank you
If its topical, apply with a q-tip. If powdered, follow instruction for mixing before use
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top