PLS-50 Elite II and Mode Aquariums

Yeah pretty much the only solutions are raise and/or close. Unless you have something going on in your water like medication
 
I realize no one has posted on this thread in a while, but it seems like the longest and most thorough about the Mode skimmer so hoping I can get some help.

I got mine last week (around 1.5 weeks after ordering) and have it set up in the second chamber of my Fusion Pro 2 50 without the hanging bracket. Been running for 8 days now. My issue is constant overflowing, even with the skimmer turned so it is all the way open. If I did not have the collection cup drain hose on and open running back into the tank, the collection cup would be full and overflowing in under a minute. I have cut pieces of eggcrate to raise the skimmer out of the water more, but after a couple hours it will again start to overflow. I do not want to raise the skimmer out of the water any higher, as it is already higher than any pictures I have seen of others using it.

I am hoping this just has to do with the skimmer breaking in. Any advice? If I can't get it figured out I will definitely be looking at other options.
Mine took a good week to stop over skimming. I let it over skim directly into the tank for the first 4-5 days. Also, I took the air silencer off and replaced it with an adjustment valve to get a little more control over air intank. But once the skimmer built up some biofilm it started running great. No issues since then.
 
Mine took a good week to stop over skimming. I let it over skim directly into the tank for the first 4-5 days. Also, I took the air silencer off and replaced it with an adjustment valve to get a little more control over air intank. But once the skimmer built up some biofilm it started running great. No issues since then.
Mine took about 2-3 weeks before it settled in. Love it now!!!
 
Glad I found this thread. I’ve been looking for something with a bigger cup than my Tunze 9004. I found one on Amazon that appears to match one of the versions pretty well. It delivers tomorrow, too. $98 w tax didn’t seem too bad.

And of course it’s an off brand - but they all seem to be. ZKSJ REEF80 Aquariums Protein Skimmers,DC Pinwheel Pump,Hang On Back,for Saltwater Fish Tanks up to 80 Gallons https://a.co/d/6vEVjeq
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Has anyone ordered a PLS-50 Elite II protein skimmer from mode aquariums recently? If so, did you receive the one pictured on their website and was it consistent with the stated dimensions?
 
Has anyone ordered a PLS-50 Elite II protein skimmer from mode aquariums recently? If so, did you receive thee one pictured on their website and was it consistent with the stated dimensions?
Hey Robbie, I am the OP of this thread., and here is my take away. Mode is essentially sending out the skimmer in the post from Ronnie two above this one. For $89 (Half of what Mode is currently selling it for) it is a great value. I would jump on the offerings from Amazon as it could be easily returned if it were say bought from Ali Express (To be fair I have no idea what Ali Express's return policy is) My opinion is you could get two skimmers and double your skimming capcity buying the Amazon version vs the Mode aquarium version.

If mine blew up for some reason, I would just get the Amazon version above to replace it, instead of re-buying from Mode.

Just my $.02
 
Hey Robbie, I am the OP of this thread., and here is my take away. Mode is essentially sending out the skimmer in the post from Ronnie two above this one. For $89 (Half of what Mode is currently selling it for) it is a great value. I would jump on the offerings from Amazon as it could be easily returned if it were say bought from Ali Express (To be fair I have no idea what Ali Express's return policy is) My opinion is you could get two skimmers and double your skimming capcity buying the Amazon version vs the Mode aquarium version.

If mine blew up for some reason, I would just get the Amazon version above to replace it, instead of re-buying from Mode.

Just my $.02
Thanks for the reply. So that is the exact experience I encountered. My older model is going so I ordered a new one from mode and I did not receive the version that is currently posted on their website. Best part is I already ordered the same exact model from Ali express a year ago for $80 and mode sent me the same exact version only difference is the etching on the top of the collection cup. It’s even the same exact pump from China. What bugs me the most is this skimmer is actually longer lengthwise than the dimensions listed on their website so it doesn’t fit in my IM40 unless I take the hook off that attachs to the top boarder of the aio sump. I really feel like I was deceived because I purposely measured based on the dimensions on the mode website. I emailed them about it but as expected I did not receive a response. I wanted to get the word out so others don’t have to deal with this and get ripped off like I did when you can get the same exact version they are selling from Amazon or AliExpress for half the price.
 
Last edited:
Users, do you think it will be installed in a 12cm * 10cm space?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top