Plumbing: PVC or Silicon Tubing

wiselyy73

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 15, 2017
Messages
307
Reaction score
85
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is better? I heard PVC would create more vibrate and noise but I see lots of people using PVC.
 
Which is better? I heard PVC would create more vibrate and noise but I see lots of people using PVC.
I prefer pvc. it gives a cleaner installation. And since it doesn't allow in any light, it doesn't grow algae like silicone tubing can. If done correctly you shoudn't get any noise or vibrations. If you do a small section of silicone tubing before your hard pvc it softens the vibrations and makes it practically silent. I cannot hear my pump or lines at all.
9qekfNMl.jpg

4PAf7mml.jpg

twudXKbl.jpg

rH9ok3zl.jpg

D3nGiMzl.jpg

qUGvpMMl.jpg
 
I think the vast majority of reefers prefer hard plumbing, PVC, where appropriate. I've learned to use a hose barb out of my return pump, and a hose barb on my PVC return line assembly, and connect the two with a bit of large diameter silicone tube and a couple of plastic ratchet clamps. It helps isolate vibration. Many have gone to colored PVC and fittings, just because it looks pretty :)

I keep waiting for the day that people start making aquarium fixtures, bulkheads, etc with PEX fittings. Push fit PEX seems an IDEAL way to plumb a tank to me... but you can't get the parts you'd need... yet.
 
Use PVC and only use a 1' section of silicone tubing attached to the pump. It will isolate the vibration, so that is all you need. Plus, it's extremely expensive.
 
Can someone please share some photos of connected a tubing to PVC?
20180404_182829.jpg
basically my return pump has a 3/4 inch barb coming out of it, that goes to braided hose, then to a 3/4 inch spigot barb that goes to a 3/4 inch coupler then to my PVC
 
I don't know about silicone, because I just feel like it wouldn't be able to handle the pressure long term, but you could always use black vinyl for vibration and to keep light out as well.

Keep in mind with barb fittings that it pinches a 1/4" off the ID of the hose because the hose goes over the barb. So, for example, if you want to go with 1" pvc, it may be better to use 1.25" vinyl or silicone with the same barb so the inside opening is still 1".
 
I perfer a hybrid of the 2. My drains are now do e with all pvc. Return is part pvc and part tubing, pvc for the manifold tubing feom pump to manifold and manifold to return bulkhead. I perfer this after many years of experience.
 
So always PVC fits inside of tubing. Looks like need few of coupler and barbs I order to do that. Isn’t the more connections the more chance of leaking?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top