Pods - best ways to start and keep them thriving?

Do you have a mandarin or just do this for overall benefit? Do you have to repopulate the pods at all?
Overall benefit but would be a great farming method for mandarin
 
Culturing pods isnt too hard...just make sure u have 2 if one crashes...i use a 10 gal with an acrylic sheet siliconed in the middle to have 2 cultures ...and u can also buy a captive bred mandarin to help the odds...https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE19jzfCtc5qMAYBRx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTBybGY3bmpvBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1546382708/RO=10/RU=https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/2/breeder/RK=2/RS=uyOX5LhMmqhDQlPWuQISG7TUemk-
Awesome article!
 
In my experience, keeping even a single mandarin (or other dragonets) in even a large tank is a difficult proposition and not to be taken lightly. Unless you can be certain that the fish will accept non-live foods, a single mandarin will decimate even a tank that seems abundantly overpopulated with copepods and amphipods. It takes a lot of attention and dedication to keep these little guys alive and healthy.

Many years ago, I was checking my 75g at night when it appeared that the sand bed was moving around. A quick inspection with a flashlight revealed gazillions of amphipods. Literally 8-10 per square inch of sand. Copepods were all over the glass. Some people would probably have called this plague proportions. I thought "great, I'll pick up a dragonet sometime"... thinking there would be absolutely no problem keeping one alive in that environment. I found a nice little red scooter blenny (N. ocellatus) at my LFS. He would even accept some frozen foods. I thought, no problem. 4 months later, there was not a pod of any kind to be seen in that tank, and the only difference had been the addition of that dragonet. He fed 24 hours a day. I managed to keep him alive for a little more than 2 years, after which he simply disappeared. I can't say he starved, but I can't say he didn't, either. He did not escape the tank. But in any case, it was a real challenge keeping him well-fed, and I have serious doubts that I succeeded.

I would just assume that culturing or purchasing pods is going to be necessary... and purchasing enough of them to keep just one fish alive (without culturing) could break a lot of banks.
 
You may want to consider Captive bred Mandarins. They are considerably more expensive and hard to find at times, but your chances of maintaining a healthy Mandarin will be much improved.
They are occasionally available at Algae Barn.
https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/captive-bred/green-mandarin/

I've seen these advertised, definitely more $$ than one that doesn't eat frozen, but possibly worth it. Given how efficient they are at decimating pod populations, it sounds like they are fairly voracious eaters. I might hold off for the time being and see how the pods work out in the first place.
 
The other question question is using filter socks with copepods. Yes or no
I suppose it depends on the sock. I'd imagine the BRS mesh ones would be ok, but not their felt ones (or those new rollers either).
 
@Paul B has two, I believe. You may want to look at some of his posts on how he keeps his fat and healthy.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top