Pods in sump = pods in tank?

juanmanuelsanchez

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2017
Messages
322
Reaction score
62
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So! I have mandarin fish along with a ruby and some wrasses. Always picking on the rocks. My fear is that it will somehow eat all pods in the tank. I always see a bunch in the sump and I'm culturing some too.

My question is if there are always pods in the sump means there are always in the tank. And in enough population to keep them all fat and happy.

Thanks in advance for the help.
 
You can always put some rubble rock in your sump and then transfer them to your display.
Another option is to drill holes into pvc, stuff it with filter floss and then you can put that in your display tank at night.
 
There is actually a cool gadget that came out called the pod mansion or something along those lines. You throw it in the sump, they start hiding/living in it and then you bring it into the display for your fish so they have a delicious dinner. But to support the wrasses and the mandarin, you’ll need a refugium for them as it’ll help them populate.
 
I have rocks, chaeto and a ton of algae living in my sump. I always see them in the sump walls but not in the display. That's why I'm worried.
 
Figured it out. It’s called the pod hotel. Check it out. Hopefully it really helps you out!

You can probably even diy one.
 
Thanks! I'm already breeding some myself. Could be an upgrade on my actual setup.

But the real question is... If I have in my sump do I have in my display in enough population .
 
Thanks! I'm already breeding some myself. Could be an upgrade on my actual setup.

But the real question is... If I have in my sump do I have in my display in enough population .

You will definitely have them in your display. But enough is a hard question to answer. To many other factors. I wish I could give you a straight answer but that’s a hard one to judge. I can assure you the wrasses will either way get to the pods way faster than the mandarin can.
 
Depends. How much live rock, volume, food source, other pod eaters, and system maturity. Yes, if you have pod you have pods. But do you have enough for the fish? Depends how much rock you have, how much food the pods get, and how old your system and rock have been matured.
 
I'm already trying to grown phytoplankton, I use it as food for the pods in the breeding setup.

I have enough rock and space in my tank I think here's is a pic. And yes I'm dealing with the aitapsia...
def015623fcd7da1ed739ed98f18e5fb.jpg
 
There is actually a cool gadget that came out called the pod mansion or something along those lines. You throw it in the sump, they start hiding/living in it and then you bring it into the display for your fish so they have a delicious dinner. But to support the wrasses and the mandarin, you’ll need a refugium for them as it’ll help them populate.

It’s called the “pod hotel”. I raise copepods to sell, along with rotifers and Phyto. The BEST way is to do what you’re doing with a separate culture. This way you can control what they are eating, the temperature of the water which can be changed to increase population.If you want a good copepod population they like dirty water. They eat bacteria as well as Phyto and a lot of other things. You should read some of the studies in some of the popular aquaculture books like The Plankton Culture Manual From Florida aqua farms
 
It’s called the “pod hotel”. I raise copepods to sell, along with rotifers and Phyto. The BEST way is to do what you’re doing with a separate culture. This way you can control what they are eating, the temperature of the water which can be changed to increase population.If you want a good copepod population they like dirty water. They eat bacteria as well as Phyto and a lot of other things. You should read some of the studies in some of the popular aquaculture books like The Plankton Culture Manual From Florida aqua farms

Haha yeah I actually put another post afterwards correcting myself. But thanks! ;)
 
Check at night, bet you see a ton.

I dont really have any fish that eats alot of pods as far as I know, but what I like to do is when I trim my cheato, I dip in in the DT several times and "wash" the pods off it before throwing it away. Not sure how much that adds, but that stuff is FULL of big and small pods in my fuge.

I dont see them in the DT during the day often (maybe my valantini puffer eats them?) but at night when fish are asleep, the tank looks infested with them. I mean they are everywhere. Big ones to.
 
Check at night, bet you see a ton.

I dont really have any fish that eats alot of pods as far as I know, but what I like to do is when I trim my cheato, I dip in in the DT several times and "wash" the pods off it before throwing it away. Not sure how much that adds, but that stuff is FULL of big and small pods in my fuge.

I dont see them in the DT during the day often (maybe my valantini puffer eats them?) but at night when fish are asleep, the tank looks infested with them. I mean they are everywhere. Big ones to.

Wait, are you talking about AMPHIpods? Just curious.
 
Check at night, bet you see a ton.

I dont really have any fish that eats alot of pods as far as I know, but what I like to do is when I trim my cheato, I dip in in the DT several times and "wash" the pods off it before throwing it away. Not sure how much that adds, but that stuff is FULL of big and small pods in my fuge.

I dont see them in the DT during the day often (maybe my valantini puffer eats them?) but at night when fish are asleep, the tank looks infested with them. I mean they are everywhere. Big ones to.

So the pods that you’re talking about are the amphipods. Those are the ones that crawl around at night. They are afraid of light. They will scurry away if you shine a light in them. Copepods are active all day and are the opposite, being attracted to light.
 
Ok, so all good info. Here’s my question. I use filter socks and have chaeto in my fuge. Evertime I have to change my socks they are loaded with pods. It’s a pain in the **** not kill them all. Plus when I pull my chaeto out I know I’m killing tons of pods. What can I do??? I want to maintain a healthy pod pop, but it’s almost impossible as it seems.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top