POLL: What is your Favorite MECHANICAL filtration?

What’s your Favorite/Current Mechanical Filtration?


  • Total voters
    101
In the most constructive language I can muster ..... poppycock LOL

Not only is mechanical filtration not important, let alone essential, I have found it actually to be counter productive. OK, maybe it's a somewhat different calculation for a FOWLR; but for a reef tank, particularly larger ones, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. I do run a protein skimmer and chemical media canisters, both of which will perform some level of mechanical filtration, but that is not their primary purpose. Your poll responses imply your question is for purpose mechanical media, so I chose 'nothing'.

I simply don't have water clarity problems in my reef tank. Occasionally a coral colony spawns or I am forced to clean out the sump, but any attendant cloudiness soon clears - and the filter feeder inverts get a treat. I am sure things like filter socks do a wonderful job of removing particulates, also any zooplankters, but why is it necessary. When the lights go down at night, there are all sorts of little creatures that swim in the water column. Not sure why I'd want to filter these out. Natural reefs aren't cloudy, but they are also not lacking in small particulates in the water. I figure my UV kills enough of them.

Lastly, I really dislike rote maintenance tasks, so the idea of having to constantly clean filters socks is a big 'ol NO for me.
That’s really interesting. Never thought of that. Some people like their tanks to be more like natural reefs (from what you’re saying sounds like yours is) and some people like tanks that are “modified reefs” where they aren’t as similar to reefs but have some of the key components in it (ie corals, fish, etc) that live in a different lifestyle compared to natural reefs. I’m more on the approach of a modified reef but I think those natural types are pretty cool and the methods for maintaining them compared to modified reefs is interesting so thanks for your input
 
I like heavy input heavy output on my current tank (well, not really heavy input as such but I don't skimp). So I feed quite a bit for the fish and corals but want to export as much as possible to get rid of any buildup of unused nutrients.

For export I use mechanical filtration, skimmer and macroalgae. For the mechanical filtration I tried using filter socks once on my previous tank. I gave up after two months because I just couldn't be bothered to keep up with changing out the socks every 2-3 days... and if you don't change them out frequently you might as well not have them. So I stopped. On that tank I didn't feed heavily.

Then for my current tank I got an RE fleece rollermat and love it. A rollermat takes the particulate waste out of the water column and only needs changing, in my case, about every 3-4 weeks. Wouldn't do without it! ;Happy

It is however more expensive, both in upfront cost and in fleece roll replacement...
 
I like heavy input heavy output on my current tank (well, not really heavy input as such but I don't skimp). So I feed quite a bit for the fish and corals but want to export as much as possible to get rid of any buildup of unused nutrients.

For export I use mechanical filtration, skimmer and macroalgae. For the mechanical filtration I tried using filter socks once on my previous tank. I gave up after two months because I just couldn't be bothered to keep up with changing out the socks every 2-3 days... and if you don't change them out frequently you might as well not have them. So I stopped. On that tank I didn't feed heavily.

Then for my current tank I got an RE fleece rollermat and love it. A rollermat takes the particulate waste out of the water column and only needs changing, in my case, about every 3-4 weeks. Wouldn't do without it! ;Happy

It is however more expensive, both in upfront cost and in fleece roll replacement...
Time is money so I’m sure you’re still saving!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top