Pom Pom crab stealing my rock nem

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2017
Messages
1,076
Reaction score
2,029
Location
St. Louis, MO
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is my pom pom crab doing? She has balled up my rock nem that’s 3 times her size, pulled it off the rock, and is carrying it around the tank? What is she doing? She has both her own anemones. She doesn’t need mine!

4C3289FF-5591-4812-8A01-09FED7907B80.jpeg
 
This is hilarious, I have a pom pom in my anemone tank with a BTA and a few RFAs. I don't know what I would do if I saw it doing this with one of my RFAs. A while back mine shed and lost one of its own anemones, so it found an aptasia that the Peppermints hadn't taken care of yet and carried that around for a while. Hopefully yours realizes that your RFA may be a little big for it to carry around at put it back.
 
My husband tried to knock her off of it and she started fighting him for it. Tried to sting him with her pom poms! She’s now carried the rock nem into a cave and is still holding it. I hope she brings it back out!
 
[emoji23] if tank is large enough could add another pom pom crab. If the added one has 2 anemones the other one might steal one of his and use that instead.
She already has two anemones! In fact a couple weeks ago she let one go and ripped the remaining one in half!
 
She already has two anemones! In fact a couple weeks ago she let one go and ripped the remaining one in half!
Think about it like this, it'll be way easier to spot the crab now that it's dragging around a bright red anemone 3 times its size :p
 
Well she finally dropped it. It looks like it attached itself just inside the entrance to a cave. Will it crawl back out on its own to get some light?
Yeah it should, it'll move until it's happy again.
 
I actually want one of these now. It made me laugh! My LFS was telling me I'd probably love one. Your story proves it. I understand all crabs can be opportunistic, but anything I should know in particular?
 
I actually want one of these now. It made me laugh! My LFS was telling me I'd probably love one. Your story proves it. I understand all crabs can be opportunistic, but anything I should know in particular?
Mines been a model citizen. Although I don't see it much. Really cool to look at when it's out but that's not very often.
 
My decorator is always out. I have very small fish. I hope this little guy would be the same.
 
Hahaha I LOVE this! Especially that she was fighting your hubby for it! I think it is awesome that you aren't freaking out, writing the pom poms eviction notice. Watching these little critters do what they do is amazing, and HILARIOUS!
 
I actually want one of these now. It made me laugh! My LFS was telling me I'd probably love one. Your story proves it. I understand all crabs can be opportunistic, but anything I should know in particular?

I have 3, added something to watch after the lights go out. Havent noticed any coral issues from them. Also i dont have any anemones so havent seen them keeping pets [emoji23]
 
I have 3, added something to watch after the lights go out. Havent noticed any coral issues from them. Also i dont have any anemones so havent seen them keeping pets [emoji23]
I have 4 RFAs...I wouldn't mind letting it do what it does.
 
I have 4 RFAs...I wouldn't mind letting it do what it does.

They dont really pay attention to one another. So not like adding multiple territorial shrimp.
They never really let go of their anemones, so claws are not really a worry like other crabs. If losses one during a molt will split their other or steal one from another crab. So their danger to fish is more related to being pestered and it punching one in defense.(no idea if this would harm or just deter tbh if happened) I only have a clown pair, a fairy wrasse, and a dwarf angel most recently; nothing that is really actively hunting my cuc. So havent had any issues. They do hide a lot but not like other inverts or fish you never see.(stupid whiptail catfish in my planted lol)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top