Porcupine Puffer not feeling well

Fish develop physical issues just like we do: heart attacks, cancers, organ failures, etc. You did a fine job helping your little buddy. Rest easy. Sorry for your loss.
 
Fish develop physical issues just like we do: heart attacks, cancers, organ failures, etc. You did a fine job helping your little buddy. Rest easy. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you. You have no idea how much testing, research, and money on live food I spent. I cried a bit when I put him in my fish graveyard.
 
I have an update to this thread. Unfortunately Andy died today. He was a good fighter, but whatever was wrong with him was too much. He had been living on 2 or 3 live crabs a day, but had become very thin.

He stopped eating his crabs this weekend and his breathing had become really labored. I quickly filled my 55G (don't judge, that's all I have) as a HT. I put him in there last night and I dosed some CP (in case he had a parasite I couldn't see). He seemed settled last night and this morning, but passed during the day.

I still have no idea what was wrong with him. Whatever it was, he was the only one affected. I think it was a physical problem. He almost seemed like he couldn't swallow.

I was lacing his food with GC for a while in case he had an internal parasite, but that had no effect.

I will get another one, because I simply love them. I just don't want to repeat the same mistakes, if I indeed made a mistake. I even did an ICP test. I had low iodine, but I don't think that would cause this. It causes lockjaw in puffers, but he could chew fine.

Any other ideas??
Hi very sorry to hear about your puffer, completely understand when you say its more like a pet than a fish. Do you think my puffer is breathing heavy or am i just over worried? Any advice on would be so welcome
 

Attachments

  • VID_20201006_211258.mp4
    19.2 MB
Hi very sorry to hear about your puffer, completely understand when you say its more like a pet than a fish. Do you think my puffer is breathing heavy or am i just over worried? Any advice on would be so welcome
I think he is breathing heavy. Did he just eat? What's his diet?

Water parameters?
 
A little heavy and can be as simple as indigestion or other internal. You could try praziPro which is great for internal issues. Before that. . any changes in water quaility ?( salinity-temp-PH-Ammonia-Nitrate) ?
Adding oxygen such as air pump with air stone will assist with breathing/oxygen levels
 
No he had ate earlier on in the day and he gets fed frozen shrimps
Sorry water parameters are salinty: 1.024 ppm, temp:25 Celsius, 0 ammonia and nitrite with about slightly higher than 20 nitrate
 
No he had ate earlier on in the day and he gets fed frozen shrimps
Only frozen shrimp? Like cocktail shrimp?

Cocktail shrimp have little nutritional value. Go to the grocery store and get some littleneck clams, mussels or oysters. Put them in the freezer to kill them, then open them up 1/2 way. Mine absolutely loves them and it is super nutritious.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top