Possible Aiptasia on my GSP

Rcard01

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 17, 2023
Messages
13
Reaction score
9
Location
Fort Myers
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I know there have been many posts about this but it looks a little different than others I’ve seen. Just hoping for a confirmation or negatory on aiptasia and recommended methods considering it is growing within my GSP colony. New to the hobby - have had the tank about two months. Tried to get clear photos.

CB3F59DF-75EC-463A-B577-229E23262C0D.jpeg 502BBB52-A32B-4A9B-B286-F9BF654C6A41.jpeg
 
It definitely looks like aiptasia to me.
Thanks. Any recommendations on how I might safely remove it from my tank? I have a 2.5 gallon so not sure it’s suitable for a peppermint shrimp. Just worried about affecting my GSP.
 
If this were me, and even knowing it looks like you're trying to get your GSP to grow onto that rock, I'd remove the plug and either super glue it closed or cut that chunk of plug off entirely. It's actually in a sort of best case scenario right now because it's on something that seems easy to remove and treat outside your tank.

If the aiptasia gets freaked out or stressed, it'll release pieces of itself to propagate and your one will turn into more.
 
If this were me, and even knowing it looks like you're trying to get your GSP to grow onto that rock, I'd remove the plug and either super glue it closed or cut that chunk of plug off entirely. It's actually in a sort of best case scenario right now because it's on something that seems easy to remove and treat outside your tank.

If the aiptasia gets freaked out or stressed, it'll release pieces of itself to propagate and your one will turn into more.
Thank you this was super helpful. Gonna look at some reef-safe super glues. It’s weird because my GSP has been looking very healthy lately and I never thought much of it before because of it. I fed them well last night which is why the GSP is retracted, but on a normal day you can’t even see the aiptasia. If I try to remove the GSP from the frag entirely, will that risk upsetting the aiptasia around it?
 
If it were my tank, I would take the plug out, set it in a dish of tank water, and cover the area with kalkwasser paste. Wait about 5-10 minutes, then rinse it thoroughly with old tank water and put it back. Normally I would use the paste in the tank, but a 2.5g might be too small for that much kalkwasser.
 
You asked.
Golfing Flame Thrower GIF by ABC Network
Ideally something that wouldn’t wipe out everything for 10 square feet but I appreciate the sentiment.
If it were my tank, I would take the plug out, set it in a dish of tank water, and cover the area with kalkwasser paste. Wait about 5-10 minutes, then rinse it thoroughly with old tank water and put it back. Normally I would use the paste in the tank, but a 2.5g might be too small for that much kalkwasser.
Perfect appreciate the advice.
 
If you try to remove the GSP from the plug, do it outside of the tank. If you have to cut through the mat at the bottom of the coral to free it from the rock, or peel it up from the rock to remove the plug, that probably is still best.

I choose the somewhat nuclear option when dealing with aiptasia personally. Seal it off, or remove it. I've never used any paste or injections etc, I'm alright with losing a polyp or two of whatever coral it happens to be on to keep it out of my tanks.
 
Hi, I know there have been many posts about this but it looks a little different than others I’ve seen. Just hoping for a confirmation or negatory on aiptasia and recommended methods considering it is growing within my GSP colony. New to the hobby - have had the tank about two months. Tried to get clear photos.

CB3F59DF-75EC-463A-B577-229E23262C0D.jpeg 502BBB52-A32B-4A9B-B286-F9BF654C6A41.jpeg
welcome to the reef keeping hobby, you are not alone. not that its any comfort to you.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top