Possuble clownfish death, LFS thinks it was Brooklynella

ironman187

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 10, 2019
Messages
219
Reaction score
160
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish has been in our tank for well over a month. We added a yellow head jawfish pair and started feeding enriched mysis shrimp and blackworms to the jawfish. Within a few days, one clown started having long stringy white poop. I read from several sources that mysis shrimp can cause this in clowns, so I wasn't too alarmed, just tried to limit the amount of mysis that escaped the jawfish. The poop seemed to get a bit better, but not by much. Yesterday the clownfish started breathing heavily and spending a lot of time on the sand, it then hid in a small cave. It dissapeared late this morning. Unfortunately I was unable to get any meds until today after work. No idea if it's dead or really hiding well. My wife said she saw some white spots on its fin and it's tail appeared torn before it dissapeared. Our local fish store thinks it is Brooklynella. I'm not completely convinced. But am willing to treat for it along with internal parasites. The problem is, I need to try and catch a molly miller blenny, yellow clown goby, both of which spend most of their day hiding, two yellow head jawfish, a kole tang, a yellow tang, a one spot foxface, and a clown. The blenny, goby, and jawfish seem like they would be impossible to catch. Would it be possible to pull the introverts and corals, take my sump offline from the display, turn my sump into the introverts home, and treat the display with anything?
 
If you can't get them out consider mixing one of seachems feedable medicines with focus.
 
If you can't get them out consider mixing one of seachems feedable medicines with focus.
No other fish show any symptoms as of yet, but as a precaution we started a regiment of 1 cube frozen misis shrimp soaked in two drops of Selcon, two drops of seachem garlic guard, 1 scoop of Focus and one scoop of API general cure. We will be feeding 1/2 cube twice daily (1 whole cube a day) for two weeks. A QT tank is being set up, but I still have no idea how I'm going to catch all the fish.
 
No other fish show any symptoms as of yet, but as a precaution we started a regiment of 1 cube frozen misis shrimp soaked in two drops of Selcon, two drops of seachem garlic guard, 1 scoop of Focus and one scoop of API general cure. We will be feeding 1/2 cube twice daily (1 whole cube a day) for two weeks. A QT tank is being set up, but I still have no idea how I'm going to catch all the fish.


If you can't catch them then I thinking the feeding method is probably best as long as you are careful not to let coral and such eat it.
 
You could also try ruby reef rally. People have mixed opnions about it but it says its reef safe I believe it claims to treat brook. I would learn more about the brook life cycle to better help you :)
 
You could also try ruby reef rally. People have mixed opnions about it but it says its reef safe I believe it claims to treat brook. I would learn more about the brook life cycle to better help you :)

Unfortunately nobody local has it and I won't be able to order it until Friday. I have done pretty extensive research on brook and I'm still not convinced the clown had it. My gut still says it was an internal parasite of some kind since no skin sloughing and no discoloration was seen. Plus the clown had the stringy poop for the better part of a week.
 
Unfortunately nobody local has it and I won't be able to order it until Friday. I have done pretty extensive research on brook and I'm still not convinced the clown had it. My gut still says it was an internal parasite of some kind since no skin sloughing and no discoloration was seen. Plus the clown had the stringy poop for the better part of a week.


Ah if it was a worm then that is much better than brook lol. Simple prazipro or other medicines work well :)
 
Ah if it was a worm then that is much better than brook lol. Simple prazipro or other medicines work well :)
I'm not 100 % convinced of this as I've never dealt with either. LFS sold me enough Chloroquine phosphate for a 20 gallon tank. But I'm not sure if It's worth stressing the fish out by pulling what I can out and dumping them into a QT tank, especially since I haven't seen our yellow clown goby in a few days, our Molly miller blenny hides and is very fast, and both Jawfish are skittish and quick to dart into their holes, so I really don't believe I can catch any of them. So highly unlikely that I will achieve a fallow tank making the whole exercise futile.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top