power break down of my 200G :(

Lunulata

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2016
Messages
59
Reaction score
191
Location
Switzerland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

A few month ago I had a power break down on my 200g tank.
The electric fuse went off after a Tunze Stream pump breaked down.
I wasnt at home for 24h. This means the lack of elecricity was less than that.
When I came home, I already knew what is up as soon as I walked into my house.
The smell was horrible.

All fish, inverts etc where already dead. What are the options on a fully loaded tank!?
Dead fish everywhere in the rocks I couldnt get out etc. So no water changes and let it run.
I decided take everything out. Luckily a friend of mine was just ready to fill his tank which was big enouth to keep all my corals. Some of the corals where really big :(
Some of them made it. All Acroporas didnt, some of the easier SPS did it. LPS mostly too.


This is how the tank looked one week before the power breakdown. :(

The lack of oxygen killed everything. No light etc for 24h is no problem.
But no stream in my tank led the oxygen level to a deadly level.
I wouldnt ever have imagined that less than 24h is enough to kill almost everything in your tank.
In Switzerland, we have a steady power source and lack of electricity is very little.
I think we havent even one in the last 10 years which was longer than 1 Minute where I life.
That is why I havent done any preventions against such a case.

Now ask yourself if you are prepared to such an emergency¨!?
Do you have seperate power sources? Battery backup for stream pumps? Generator?
Push notification in case of a power break down?
Best options are systems which operate automatically in such a case such as battery backups etc.

I share this horrible story because I dont want anybody having the same experience.
After this happend, I wasnt even sure if I wanna start anymore.
Not just because a lot of money and efford went into the tank, it was because of all the beloved animals.

After a time without the tank, I realised, I just cant be without it. :D
Did a new setup. Now it starts to look great again. A few Cyano tho, but I will get rid of that, too. :)
I want to build up like an acropora garden.



Cheers from Switzerland
Mirco

1.jpg


2.jpg
 
Sorry for your loss,, this is heartbreaking.....Your tank was stunning and your new one is already stunning :) Years ago i lost power for 6 hours and luckily i was home...I spend 6 hours stiring the tank and praying for the power to come back on. The tank goes to silent and everything becomes weak very fast.. You pretty much lose all the oxygen fast and its a shame that this backup has not become a stable in the industry. For my new setup i'll have ecotech battery backup for the pump but have not figured on the heating part yet. I can keep my tank oxygenated but If I can figure out heat then id be able leave for the weekend with some redundancy.
 
another quick update.... :)
the tank is cranking along nicely now :)

this pic is already 2 weeks old, the cyanos are gone totally now :)
will try to take a few good pics on the Weekend :)

123.jpg
 
I'm sorry to hear of your past power failure as well. But, you're new set up looks amazing. I'm in love with that Acro shelf. That lion looks great in there as well.
 
Does anyone know of battery backups other than the ecotech. I ask only because I believe those are compatible with their powerheads. If I'm wrong about that let me know. Looking for something that is universally compatible with any pump. I currently use Sicce (sp?).
 
Does anyone know of battery backups other than the ecotech. I ask only because I believe those are compatible with their powerheads. If I'm wrong about that let me know. Looking for something that is universally compatible with any pump. I currently use Sicce (sp?).
IceCap made one, but they may have discontinued it as all of the retailers are showing out of stock.

CoralBox now makes one, and I suppose it is possible this unit superseded the IceCap version:
http://www.fish-street.com/coralbox_powercell_for_jebao_battery_pump__dc_pump_us_delivery
image_show.php
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top