Powerheads vs Gyre vs wavemaker / 120g new tank?

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2020
Messages
1,209
Reaction score
738
Location
North Port, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new tank 120g (48" across)...I have watched lots of videos and read post after post...I am leaning towards the Nero 5 powerheads (two for my tank) but like the MP40s wet side cleaning and then I see others using one gyre and claiming great flow.
What should I consider - I would like to not just buy and try.
 
I am thinking soft / leather / chalice maybe?
I have had this tank dimensions before and liked a mp40 on it. I like that there is a backup battery for it as well. I have a friend with Nero 5 and he just isn’t happy with them.
 
I'm having to switch over to a gyre flow (icecap) as my aquascape is a bit tall and I can't dial in the flow with 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 mp40s in my 48" tank. Love mp40s but I had to switch it up. I purchased one icecap 2k and have another one coming. I'll probably try to use 1 or 2 mp40s in addition as my tanks sps dominate.
 
I'm having to switch over to a gyre flow (icecap) as my aquascape is a bit tall and I can't dial in the flow with 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 mp40s in my 48" tank. Love mp40s but I had to switch it up. I purchased one icecap 2k and have another one coming. I'll probably try to use 1 or 2 mp40s in addition as my tanks sps dominate.
My budget is not ready for 1-2 gyres and 1-2 MP40s...my aquascape is a work in progress
 
I run a pair of Mp40s on 120 gal (48") tank and they handle it with ease, I have LPS, SPS and nems... no issues
 
I run 4 powerheads in my 120 but its acro based.
I ran two ow20's for a year in my 120 along with 2 Tunze 6095's.
These are the ow 20's after a year of running
20200515_183735.jpg

These ow 40's would be plenty of power and can be linked with pretty good programed flow patterns.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have 2 Jebao CP-120 Cross Flow Pump Wave makers in my 75 one on each end programed to alternate daily to change direction of flow, one covers my whole tank. Very nice pumps and easy to clean.

​

 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top