Problems replacing the LED’s in the Mars Aqua Black Box

PeterLL

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 12, 2018
Messages
392
Reaction score
462
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I’ve had a pretty pathetic attempt at replacing the LED’s and I’m just looking for advice. I tried to replace 6, got none of them working, and I’m pretty sure completely destroying the LED ports:
D82C0759-DA1D-404B-AA16-BEB165A266C7.jpeg

5D91DFD0-D970-4184-9BE6-14AE39A1B041.jpeg

I have a solder that goes up to 450°C, yet i was struggling to get the metal to melt, even holding it for minutes on the metal it was still pretty solid.

Secondly it was difficult to pull the LED’s off, even when the metal was soft and would pull up black sheet, I’m assuming this destroying the LED port.
It was also extremely difficult to melt the metal of the new LED, even at 450°C, to attach it to the existing lump of metal.
Any advice?

thank you
 
Do you have a lot of experience soldering? I suspect that while your soldering iron will get hot enough, you did not prepare the tip properly, hence why you were unable to get enough conduction between the tip and the part to be soldered, hence why you had to hold it on there for a few minutes. This would also explain why you burnt some of the underlying board. I would suggest properly cleaning your tip and practicing on something that isn't mission critical before continuing.
 
Do you have a lot of experience soldering? I suspect that while your soldering iron will get hot enough, you did not prepare the tip properly, hence why you were unable to get enough conduction between the tip and the part to be soldered, hence why you had to hold it on there for a few minutes. This would also explain why you burnt some of the underlying board. I would suggest properly cleaning your tip and practicing on something that isn't mission critical before continuing.
Thank you, ill admit I do not have much experience. However the soldering iron and tips were brand new and hence clean - is this what you mean by preparing them?
I agree I should practice on something else but I'm not sure how I'd fix the problems.
 
Use a solder sucker or solder wick to first remove the melted solder.
 
Curious, what are the specs.on the led's that you're replacing? Do all of these black boxes take the same volt, watt, ect led's?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top