Prophylactic Disease Treatment in new DT?

  • Thread starter Thread starter spirou
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

spirou

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 13, 2020
Messages
25
Reaction score
6
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

I'm setting up a new tank (build thread will come soon!), and I'm planning to prophylactically disease treat all new fish. Once the DT (200g) is well-cycled, I'm thinking of adding my initial fish stock directly to the DT and doing the prophylactic treatment in there, then running carbon to pull the medications out of the water once the treatment is complete. I'm setting up the DT with CaribSea Life Rock and Fiji Pink sand. Overtime, I'll build it into a mixed reef. Whether the CUC gets added before or after the initial fish stocking really just depends on how the algae is looking.

I plan to use Humble’s Option A method for treatment (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/)

  • Will the carbon completely remove all residual treatments/medications?
  • If the CUC goes in before the fish, are they harmed by treatments/medications?
  • Will the medications and/or carbon mess up the microbiome?

Please share all opinions and experiences!

Thank you in advance!
 
if it were me i would treat in a seperate QT if you plan to treat with copper and other meds most of the meds aren't reef compatible and will absorb into the live rock
 
  • Will the carbon completely remove all residual treatments/medications?
  • If the CUC goes in before the fish, are they harmed by treatments/medications?
  • Will the medications and/or carbon mess up the microbiome?
Yes, and no. The problem lies with the biofilm mutating into possible med resistant forms so when you may need to treat, the treatments may be less or ineffective.

Some CUC critters are very sensitive to treatments and meds. And you may want to wait a few weeks to add CUC as there won't be much in the way of food for them until the fish have been there for awhile. And it's worth considering QTing the CUC too. Parasites can easily hitch hike into a tank. 76 days of QT will starve out the hitch hikers.
 
Thanks everyone!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top