Pros & Cons of DSB in sump ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lesley
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Lesley

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2014
Messages
593
Reaction score
709
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Have just placed our order for the new sump to go with our new build. We have planned space for a DSB inthe sump, I am now hearing mixed opinions regarding have a DSB.
Some people are saying to have a double fuge instead ?
What is your opinion, and what has worked for you ?
Is there any reason a DSB didn't work, or why you would suggest we don't have one.
I have included the plans for the sump so any suggestions or improvements greatly accepted
photo.jpg
 
They're not really beneficial. They just trap waste until they are no longer able to bind the phosphates then just leach them back in. Also depending on the debris that settles you have a lot of anaerobic bacteria going on down there creating gases that can be toxic when released. Depending on what your doing I would just stick to a macro algae garden with mineral mud or live rock.
 
Sand in the sump is wack u need to keep it bare bottom when doing water change u vaccume the settlement out ,with sand its just a mess no benefits a bigger refugium will export more nutrients sand won't fudge will grow pods that eat trapped food in the rock and serve as natural food for fish with sand u get nothing other then lost space
 
Will you be using actual live sand or packaged live sand or something like miracle mud ?
I intend to use live sand about 6 to 8 inches.
I currently run a DSB, but it seems ideas are changing regarding the actual befit of them. Thats why I was wondering about a double fuge ?
 
Perhaps I am in the minority but I am pro on DSBs. I am an old salt have had salt water since the late 90s. The tank I have now the sand bed is from 2004 and is still effectively dealing with nitrates. I have never had, nor have any of the tanks I serviced with DSBs ever poisoned their systems. There is virtually no maintenance at all except I dance my fingers over a fourth inch of the surface once a month or so. I don't know why they are falling out of favor?
 
Perhaps I am in the minority but I am pro on DSBs. I am an old salt have had salt water since the late 90s. The tank I have now the sand bed is from 2004 and is still effectively dealing with nitrates. I have never had, nor have any of the tanks I serviced with DSBs ever poisoned their systems. There is virtually no maintenance at all except I dance my fingers over a fourth inch of the surface once a month or so. I don't know why they are falling out of favor?
thank you for that answer. It's very nice to hear someone with tons of experience day it's working well for them !
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top