Protein Skimmer - Aspirated Waste Flusher

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtm235
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

jtm235

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 31, 2023
Messages
28
Reaction score
17
Location
Albany
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone has tried this before...So space is very limited with all the current equipment and I was looking for a safe, reliable way to dispatch protein skimmer waste automatically. Assuming one can get a tap water line and a waste line to their tank...why not use an aspirator vacuum (on a schedule), to get ride of all the skimmer collection waste every day. My thought is the line would be flushed adequately by the tap water pressure after running for a certain period of time. The aspirator would have to be high quality to avoid any catastrophic backflow. The solenoid valve would start the flush cycle, and it would run for a minute or two after all the waste has been vacuumed to clear the waste line. The aspirator would probably need to be thoroughly clean periodically. I was thinking of using 1/4" RODI tubing.

Someone has to have tried this...any thoughts?

IMG_1855.jpg
 
have you looked at a skimmate locker

plug and play with carbon for stink & overflow cut off for skimmer
 
If I ever get to this point where I don't want to do the little menial tasks I'll quit the hobby and buy an annual pass to sea world..
 
have you looked at a skimmate locker

plug and play with carbon for stink & overflow cut off for skimmer
I've seen those but I don't quite have the room for one...plus I was looking to dispatch the protein waste continuously down the drain, in an automated fashion
 
Sounds like a fun project. Good luck and post some updates if you decide to start it.
I'm definitely going to do it haha...unless someone on here convinces me it's a bad idea mechanically :winking-face-with-tongue:

It's going to be part of my custom reef control box...similar to a ReefPi...but I wrote the software myself in node.js
 
If I ever get to this point where I don't want to do the little menial tasks I'll quit the hobby and buy an annual pass to sea world..
Some like the handiwork some like the innovation. Different strokes for different folks. Finding better or at least other ways to do things is a lot of fun.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top