Purple firefish passed away in quarantine - pic inside

AngryMike2016

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 15, 2018
Messages
938
Reaction score
1,674
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I began quarantine of a royal gramma and a purple firefish on 2/27. They have both been eating well and swimming without issue since QT began. Came home from work today to unfortunately find the purple firefish dead. The royal gramma is still trucking along, seemingly fine and ate well today.

I couldn't tell anything from looking at the firefish, so I thought that I would post a picture here, in case someone more experienced than I does see something.

Thanks in advance.

SDC11248.JPG
 
Any aggression between the two?
 
Nothing that I had observed, but I suppose it could have happened.
 
Thought I'd give this a bump just in case there are more ideas on what may have happened.
 
Well......he's dead alright.

On a side note I'm in the process of setting up a bigger aquarium. I have a Royal Gramma in my other smaller tank at the moment. When I'm fully ready to make the switch over he won't be making the trip with the rest of the critters into their new home.

I should have named him Pia.....short for Pain In ***

Was probably bothering the death out of him both literally and figuratively.
 
Well......he's dead alright.

On a side note I'm in the process of setting up a bigger aquarium. I have a Royal Gramma in my other smaller tank at the moment. When I'm fully ready to make the switch over he won't be making the trip with the rest of the critters into their new home.

I should have named him Pia.....short for Pain In ***

Was probably bothering the death out of him both literally and figuratively.
 
Huh, I'd heard and read that Grammas were relatively peaceful, but with zero signs of disease that I could see that must have been it. I work from home and my tanks are in my office, so I look at them a lot. Never saw the two fish 'getting into it', but who knows what was happening at night or when I was away.
 
Huh, I'd heard and read that Grammas were relatively peaceful, but with zero signs of disease that I could see that must have been it. I work from home and my tanks are in my office, so I look at them a lot. Never saw the two fish 'getting into it', but who knows what was happening at night or when I was away.
It varies a bit from gramma to gramma but they can definitely be on the aggressive side with other small fish. Not saying that's the cause of the death but just my experience with them. Firefish on the other hand seem like they can be startled to death if you fart too loud so I generally would not co-habitat them in a QT.
 
It looks like it was thin, which to me means internal parasites possibly and also of course if it isn't eating well it won't live long.

Firefish can be finicky, sorry for the loss.
 
The fish seemed to have been eating fine, but yeah, if it had internal parasites eating well doesn't necessarily mean getting nutrition from the food.
 
Thanks for the input everybody. I'm thinking that in the future I will QT just one fish at a time. It'll take longer, but that's fine.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top